Introduction: Whiteness, Social Justice and Greek Mythology?
Using Peisander’s Heracles and his twelve labours as a metaphor for achieving social justice, Ornette D. Clennon sets out the terrain for the social battle against an invisible Lernaean ‘whiteness’. Clennon also introduces us to the material effects of ‘whiteness’ and its origins in structural (institutional) racism by using the Windrush debacle as a case example.
KeywordsSocial justice Whiteness Windrush Racism
- Abbott, D. (2014, May 2). Theresa May Is Right to Tackle Stop-and-Search. It’s Done Enough Harm Already. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/02/theresa-may-stop-and-search-police-britain-inner-cities.
- Bartlett, N. (2018, April 23). Windrush Generation to Be Given ‘Free Citizenship’ Government Announces. Retrieved from The Mirror. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/windrush-generation-given-free-citizenship-12413264.
- Baudrillard, J. (1981). Simulacra and Simulation. Ann Arbor: University Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- Birchall, G. (2017, July 30). ‘CAN’T WAIT TO BREAK IT IN’ Benefits Scrounger Octomum Marie Buchan Is Getting a HORSE and Tells Haters ‘It’s Just Like Buying a Car’. Retrieved from The Sun. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4131685/benefits-scrounger-octomum-marie-buchan-is-getting-as-horse-and-tells-haters-its-just-like-buying-a-car/.
- Bourdieu, P. (1984). Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste (R. Nice, Trans.) Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P., & Wacquant, L. J. (1992). An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Brickell, C., Bucke, T., Burchell, J., Davidson, M., Kennedy, E., Linley, R., et al. (2015). Evaluation of the Right to Rent Scheme: Research Report 83. London: Home Office. Available at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468934/horr83.pdf.
- Clennon, O. D. (2015). Urban Dialectics, the Market and Youth Engagement: The ‘Black’ Face of Eurocentrism. New York: Nova Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Clennon, O. D. (2016a). The Black Face of Eurocentrism: Uncovering Globalisation. In O. D. Clennon (Ed.), International Perspectives of Multiculturalism: The Ethical Challenges (pp. 91–128). New York: Nova Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Clennon, O. D. (2016b). The Ethical Implications of Ideological and Political Multiculturalism in the UK. In O. Clennon (Ed.), International Perspectives of Multiculturalism: The Ethical Challenges (pp. 25–69). New York: Nova Science.Google Scholar
- Clennon, O. D. (2017). The Polemics of C.L.R. James and Contemporary Black Activism. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Chan, E. (2016, September 17). Mother-of-Five Who Pockets £18,000 a Year in Benefits Says She Needs MORE Handouts Because She Can’t Afford to Buy School Uniforms for Her Children (But Still Manages to Spend £20 a Week on Cigarettes). Retrieved from Mail Online. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3793976/Mother-five-pockets-19-000-year-benefits-says-needs-t-afford-buy-school-uniforms-children.html.
- Chase, R. T. (2016, July 27). How Can We End the Cycle of Racial Violence? Retrieved from CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/21/opinions/law-order-racial-violence-chase/index.html.
- Coates, T.-N. (2014, June). The Case for Reparations. Retrieved from The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/.
- Coel, M. (2018, August 23). James MacTaggart Lecture | Edinburgh TV Festival 2018. Retrieved from YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=odusP8gmqsg.
- Collins, W. W., & Wanamaker, M. H. (2017). NBER Working Paper Series: Up from Slavery? African American Intergenerational Economic (Working Paper 23395). Cambridge, MA: NBER. Available at http://web.utk.edu/~mwanamak/Intergen_NBER.pdf.
- Darity Jr., W., Hamilton, D., Paul, M., Aja, A., Price, A., Moore, A., et al. (2018). What We Get Wrong About Closing the Racial Wealth Gap. Durham, NC: Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity, Duke University. Available at https://socialequity.duke.edu/sites/socialequity.duke.edu/files/site-images/FINAL%20COMPLETE%20REPORT_.pdf.
- De Noronha, L. (2016, September 11). The Deportation Charter Flight—What’s All the Fuss About? Retrieved from The Gleaner. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/focus/20160911/luke-de-noronha-deportation-charter-flight-whats-all-fuss-about#.Wteo9o13uVw.email.
- de Vries, R., & Reeves, A. (2017, November 15). Why Do People Care More About Benefit ‘Scroungers’ Than Billions Lost to the Rich? Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/15/benefit-scroungers-billions-rich-paradise-papers-tax-avoidance.
- DiAngelo, R. (2011). White Fragility. International Journal of Critical Pedagogy, 3(3), 54–70.Google Scholar
- Dionne, E. (2014, December 8). Police Kill Black Women All the Time, Too—We Just Don’t Hear About It. Retrieved from Bustle. https://www.bustle.com/articles/52433-police-kill-black-women-all-the-time-too-we-just-dont-hear-about-it.
- Du Bois, W. (1935 ). Black Reconstruction in America 1860–1880. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Editor. (2018, April 19). Home. Retrieved from Caribbean Aircrew in the RAF During WW2. http://www.caribbeanaircrew-ww2.com/.
- Elgot, J. (2018, April 17). Theresa May’s ‘Hostile Environment’ at Heart of Windrush Scandal. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/17/theresa-mays-hostile-environment-policy-at-heart-of-windrush-scandal.
- Gentleman, A. (2018, April 17). Home Office Destroyed Windrush Landing Cards, Says Ex-Staffer. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/17/home-office-destroyed-windrush-landing-cards-says-ex-staffer.
- Gill, K. (2017, September 21). James Baldwin, I Am Not Your Negro and the Construction of Race. Retrieved from Media Diversified. https://mediadiversified.org/2017/09/21/james-baldwin-i-am-not-your-negro-and-the-construction-of-race/.
- House of Commons Hansard. (2018, April 16). Windrush Children (Immigration Status) Vol. 639. Retrieved from www.parliament.uk: https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-04-16/debates/7234878F-ACEE-48DD-A94C-9013B38FA465/WindrushChildren(ImmigrationStatus).
- Huntington, S. P. (1998). The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Lammy, D. (2018, April 24). Letter of Deportation. Retrieved from Twitter. https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/988720953218818049.
- Lidher, S. (2018, April 20). Race Matters: British Citizenship and the Windrush Generation. Retrieved from Runnymede Trust. https://www.runnymedetrust.org/blog/british-citizenship-and-the-windrush-generation.
- Malik, N. (2016, March 1). Stripping Criminals of Their UK Passports—Even Terrorists and Sex Abusers—Is Dangerous. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/01/stripping-criminals-uk-citizenship-racisrt-sex-abusers-terrorists-two-classes-citizens.
- Mills, C. W. (1997). The Racial Contract. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Omi, M., & Winant, H. (1994). Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1990s. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Parker, G., Mance, H., & Blitz, J. (2018, April 20). Commonwealth Citizens Left Hanging on UK Rights. Retrieved from Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/149de13e-44aa-11e8-803a-295c97e6fd0b?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6.
- Perkins, A., & Gentleman, A. (2018, April 23). Government Knew for Years That Windrush Generation Hurt by ‘Hostile Environment’. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/22/government-aware-for-years-that-hostile-environment-hurt-windrush-generation.
- Perkins, A., & Quinn, B. (2018, April 19). May’s Immigration Policy Seen as ‘Almost Reminiscent of Nazi Germany’. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/19/theresa-may-immigration-policy-seen-as-almost-reminiscent-of-nazi-germany.
- Reality Check Team. (2018, April 18). Windrush: How Do You Prove You’ve Been Living in the UK? Retrieved from BBC News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43795077.
- Shukla, N. (Ed.). (2016). The Good Immigrant. London: Unbound.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. ( 1976). An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Steinmetz, K. (2015, August 17). Why Transgender People Are Being Murdered at a Historic Rate. Retrieved from Time. http://time.com/3999348/transgender-murders-2015/.
- Taylor, D. (2018, April 16). UK Removed Legal Protection for Windrush Immigrants in 2014. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/16/immigration-law-key-clause-protecting-windrush-immigrants-removed-in-2014.
- Ture, K. (1991). Interview on Evening Exchange. (K. Nnamdi, Interviewer) Howard University Public TV. Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkrIAYbk-nQ.
- West, A. (2016, December 30). TAKER’S DOZEN Sponging Mum of Thirteen Who Rakes in £30,000 a Year in Benefits Is Branded a Scrounger by Her Own DAUGHTER. Retrieved from The Sun. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2477251/sponging-mum-of-thirteen-who-rakes-in-30000-a-year-in-benefits-is-branded-a-scrounger-by-her-own-daughter/.
- Wikipedia. (2018, April 13). List of Killings by Law Enforcement Officers in the United States. Retrieved from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_States.
- Younge, G. (2018, April Friday). Hounding Commonwealth Citizens Is No Accident: It’s Cruelty by Design. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/13/commonwealth-citizens-harassment-british-immigration-policy.
- Clennon, O. D. (2015, January 15). Hercules, Urban Dialectics and the Market. Critical [website]. Available at https://ornettedclennon.me/2016/06/04/hercules-urban-dialectics-and-the-market-reposted-and-adapted-from-criticl-4-6-16/.