Alternative Media: A New Factor in Electoral Politics?
Several relatively new digital platforms made a significant contribution to the election, helping generate numerous stories that went viral. The more influential were pro-Labour and included Novara Media, one of the most important of the emerging left websites. Members of the team responsible discuss how they helped promote Jeremy Corbyn and his party’s policies and also defended him and them against their prominent critics within the mainstream media. The piece demonstrates the success of this and other radical websites in reaching a wide audience and highlighting certain issues that otherwise might not have attracted so much attention.
KeywordsDigital news Radical journalism Partisanship
- Cammaerts, B., DeCillia, B., Magalhães, J., Jimenez-Martínez, C. (2017). Journalistic representations of Jeremy Corbyn in the British press: From watchdog to attackdog. Media@LSE Report. https://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/pdf/JeremyCorbyn/Cobyn-Report-FINAL.pdf. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Chakrabortty, A. (2015, January 27). What Greek politics teaches the Labour party: There is an alternative. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/27/uk-austerity-greece-parallels-labour-toxic-eliteness. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Doran, J. (2013, September 15). Liquidating Labour. Novara Media. http://novaramedia.com/2013/09/15/liquidating-labour/. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Doran, J. (2015, January 28). 5 things you need to know about Pasokification. Novara Media. http://novaramedia.com/2015/01/28/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-pasokification/. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Gent, C. (2017, January 13). Truth and politics. Jacobin. https://jacobinmag.com/2017/01/trump-fake-news-russia-leaks-cnn-buzzfeed. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Merchant, B. (2015, March 18). Fully automated luxury communism. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/mar/18/fully-automated-luxury-communism-robots-employment. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Phillips, T., & Waterson, J. (2017, May 21). People on Facebook really like sharing Labour’s manifesto. BuzzFeed. https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/people-on-facebook-really-like-sharing-labours-manifesto?utm_term=.tyQXr9GdO#.ifwpXax3J. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Real Media. (2016). Kerry-Anne Mendoza—The future of new media. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufz-3xlv2c. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Robinson, N. (2017, September 27). If mainstream news wants to win back trust, it cannot silence dissident voices. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/27/mainstream-news-win-back-trust-dissident-voices. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Rosen, J. (2010, November 10). The view from Nowhere: Questions and answers. PressThink. http://pressthink.org/2010/11/the-view-from-nowhere-questions-and-answers/. Accessed January 21, 2018.
- Waterson, J. (2017, June 18). This was the election where newspapers lost their monopoly on the political news agenda. BuzzFeed. https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/how-newspapers-lost-their-monopoly-on-the-political-agenda?utm_term=.qylVZ46x9#.oxMnE3ow0. Accessed January 21, 2018.