Community, Schooling, and the Education of Racialized Students: A Postscript
With reference to the arguments and information presented in the chapters and drawing on Critical Race Theory, this Postscript explores the place of race in structuring the experiences, circumstances, opportunities, and life trajectories of students. It highlights the usefulness of a student-centred approach in which community is recognized as playing a significant role in the schooling and educational needs, interests, performance, aspirations, and outcomes of students.
Thanks to Sam Tecle for telling me about his experiences with students as he endeavoured to create an educational program that was meaningful to them.
- Fine, M. (2012). Youth Participatory Action Research. In N. Lesko & S. Talburt (Eds.), Keywords in Youth Studies: Tracing Affects Movements Knowledges (pp. 318–324). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Gollom, M. (2015, September 19). Stephen Harper’s ‘Old-Stock Canadians’: Politics of Division or Simple Slip? CBC News. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/old-stock-canadians-stephen-harper-identity-politics-1.3234386.
- Howard, T. C. (2008). Who Really Cares? The Disenfranchisement of African American Males in Prek-12 Schools: A Critical Race Theory Perspective. Teachers College Record, 110(5), 954–985.Google Scholar
- James, C. E. (2012). Life at the Intersection: Community, Class and Schooling. Halifax: Fernwood Educational Publishing.Google Scholar
- James, C. E. (2018). “Singled Out”: Being a Black Youth in the Suburbs. In L. Foster, L. Jacobs, & B. Siu (Eds.), Racial Profiling and Human Rights in Canada: The New Legal Landscape (pp. 133–151). Toronto: Irwin Law.Google Scholar
- James, C. E., Turner, T., Tecle, S., & George, R. (2017, April). Towards Race Equity in Education: The Schooling of Black Students in the GTA. The Jean Augustine Chair in Education, Community & Diaspora, Faculty of Education, York University. http://edu.yorku.ca/files/2017/04/Towards-Race-Equity-in-Education-April-2017.pdf.
- Knowles, C. (2003). Race and Social Analysis. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Shabazz, R. (2015). Spatializing Blackness: Architectures of Confinement and Black Masculinity in Chicago. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Swalwell, K. M. (2013). Educating Activist Allies: Social Justice Pedagogy with Suburban and Urban Elite. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Wacquant, L. (2008). Urban Outcasts: A Comparative Sociology of Advanced Marginality. Cambridge, MA: Polity.Google Scholar