In this chapter recombinant FSH, follicle-stimulating hormone, products are discussed. Over the years, several different FSH products were introduced, i.e. follitropin alfa, follitropin beta, follitropin delta and corifollitropin alfa. Structural aspects that affect the performance of these highly glycosylated proteins are explained.
KeywordsFollicle stimulating hormone Follitropin alfa Follitropin beta Corifollitropin alfa
- Devroey P, Boostanfar R, Koper NP, Ijzerman P, Mannaerts BMJL, Fauser BC, ENGAGE Investigators (2009) A double-blind, non-inferiority RCT comparing corifollitropin alfa and recombinant FSH during the first seven days of ovarian stimulation using a GnRH antagonist protocol. Hum Reprod 24:3063–3072CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- European public assessment report Gonal-F (Follitropin alfa), CPMP/415/95. Revision 18, 11 Apr 2011. European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal ProductsGoogle Scholar
- Fares FA, Suganuma N, Nishimori K, LaPolt PS, Hsueh AJ, Boime I (1992) Design of a long-acting follitropin agnosit by fusinh the C-terminal sequence of the beta chorionic gonadotropin subunit. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:4304–4308Google Scholar
- Rettenbacher M, Andersen AN, Garcia-Velasco JA, Sator M, Barri P, Lindenberg S, van der Veen K, Khalaf Y, Bentin-Ley U, Obruca A, Tews G, Schenk M, Stowitzki T, Narvekar N, Sator K, Inthurn B (2015) A multi-center phase 3 study comparing efficacy and safety of Bemfola versus Gonal-F in women undergoing ovarian stimulation for ivf. Reprod Biomed Online 30:504–513CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- van Wezenbeek P, Draaier J, van Meel F, Olijve W (1990) Recombinant follicle stimulating hormone. I. Construction, selection and characterization of a cell line. In: Crommelin DJA, Schellekens H (eds) From clone to clinic, Developments in biotherapy, vol 1. Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp 245–251CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Seyhan A, Ata B (2011) The role of corifollitropin alfa in controlled ovarian stimulation for IVF in combination with GnRH antagonist. Int J Women’s Health 3:243–255Google Scholar