Hand injuries and associated infectious complaints account for a significant number of emergency department visits. It is essential to perform a comprehensive history and physical examination, as well as possess requisite knowledge and ability to implement efficacious treatment to generate enduring outcomes. The last chapter focuses on assessment and remedy of a wide array of hand pathology, also providing multiple clinical pearls to optimize cosmetic and functional results.
KeywordsMetacarpals Phalanges Intrinsic/extrinsic muscles Thenar/hypothenar region(s) Volar plate Flexor pulley system Extensor tendon anatomy Germinal/sterile matrix Median nerve Ulnar nerve Radial nerve Bennett fracture Rolando fracture Ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) Pyogenic flexor tenosynovitis (PFTS) Kanavel signs “Fight” bite Felon/paronychia
- 2.Yoong P. Four hand injuries not to miss: avoiding pitfalls in the emergency department. Eur J Emerg Med. 2011:1–6.Google Scholar
- 3.Duncan S, Weiland A. Hand surgery. 1st ed: Lippincott, PA: Williams & Wilkens; 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.Clark D. Common acute hand infections. Am Fam Physician. 2003;(11):68, 2167–2176.Google Scholar
- 6.Murray PM, et al. Perilunate Fracture Dislocations. Medscape. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1240108.
- 7.Beeson M. Wrist dislocation in emergency medicine. Emedicine.com.
- 8.Perron A. Orthopedic pitfalls in the ED: fight bite. Am J Emerg Med. 20:114–7.Google Scholar
- 17.Lubahn JD, Hood JM. Fractures of the distal inter phalangeal joint. Clin Orthop. 1996;(327):12–20. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8641055
- 18.Armbruster E, et al. Perilunate dislocation: case studies of a frequently missed diagnosis: delayed treatment adversely affects clinical results. J Musculoskeletal Med. 2008;Google Scholar
- 22.Dye M. et al. Metacarpal fractures: treatment & management. Emedicine.com.
- 23.Alke J. et al. Hand fracture treatment & management. Emedicine.com.
- 24.Tintinalli JE, Ruiz E, Krome RL. Injuries to the hand and digits. In: Emergency medicine: a comprehensive study guide. 6th ed. New York: McGraw Hill; 2004. p. 1665–74.Google Scholar
- 25.Bates S, et al. Flexor tendon anatomy. Mescape. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1245236-overview.