Dislocation of a bone/joint generally requires a high-energy mechanism secondary to native anatomic configuration and strong support of surrounding soft tissue structures. Approach to initial recognition, evaluation, and management of these injuries is crucial toward creating potential for optimal enduring results. The following chapter will discuss assessment and treatment, as well as provide clinical pearls with respect to emergency room management.
KeywordsDislocation (anterior/posterior) Reduction maneuver Ankle joint (tibiotalar joint) Subtalar joint Ankle-brachial index Traction/countertraction Axillary lateral view Hill-Sachs lesion Bankart lesion Sternoclavicular joint Serendipity view
- 1.Hendey GW. Bone chillin’ orthopedic reductions and regional block. Course lecture presented at: American College of Emergency Physicians 2009 Scientific Assembly, October 5, 2009; Boston MA.Google Scholar
- 2.Ufberg J, McNamara R. Management of common dislocations. In: Roberts JR, Hedges JR, editors. Clinical procedures in emergency medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company; 2004. p. 984–6.Google Scholar
- 8.Cunningham N. Techniques for reduction of anteroinferior shoulder dislocation. Em Med Aust. 2005;17:463–71.Google Scholar
- 9.Malanga G, et al. Patellar injury and dislocation. Emedicine/Medscape.com. Kelleher B, et al. Knee dislocation in emergency medicine. EmedicineMedscape.com.Google Scholar
- 10.Keany JE. Ankle dislocation in emergency medicine. Background, pathophysiology, epidemiology. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/823087-overview. Published April 28, 2016. Accessed 16 Mar 2018.
- 11.Elstrom JA, Virkus WW, Pankovich A. Handbook of fractures. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw Hill Professional; 2006. p. 362–9.Google Scholar
- 15.Davenport M. Reduction of posterior hip dislocation. Background, indications, contraindications. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/109225-overview. Published February 26, 2018. Accessed 16 Mar 2018.
- 18.Chapman MW, editor. Chapman’s orthopaedic surgery, vol. 2. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1993.Google Scholar
- 19.Purcell D. Musculoskeletal medicine for medical students. Orthop One [ePub]. 2011.Google Scholar
- 22.Lent GS. Reduction of radial head dislocation. Background, Indications, Contraindications. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/80051-overview. Published August 2, 2017. Accessed 16 Mar 2018.
- 24.Weatherford B. Sternoclavicular dislocation. Sternoclavicular dislocation – trauma – orthobullets. https://www.orthobullets.com/trauma/1009/sternoclavicular-dislocation. Published 2012. Accessed Mar 2017.
- 25.Mallia AK. Reduction of shoulder dislocation. Background, indications, contraindications. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/109130-overview. Published August 9, 2017. Accessed 16 Mar 2018.
- 30.Wolfson AB, Hendey GW. Harwood-Nuss clinical practice of emergency medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2010.Google Scholar
- 31.Davenport M. Reduction of ankle dislocation. Background, indications, contraindications. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/109244-overview. Published February 26, 2018. Accessed 16 Mar 2018.