Estimation of Precipitation from the Doppler Weather Radar Images
Estimating the rainfall from Radar observation plays an important role in the hydrological research. The Radar Rainfall plays a fundamental role in weather modeling and forecasting applications. Doppler Weather Radar (DWR) is used estimating the rainfall within 120 km from the Radar station. Rainfall intensity data obtained from the Surface Rainfall Intensity (SRI) product of DWR has been validated with the rain gauges located at Automatic Weather Station (AWS) data. Image processing methods such as edge detection and color identification are used to extract the rainfall from the SRI product. Time series rainfall over a particular location is compared with the AWS data using statistical parameters like correlation coefficient and Squared Pearson coefficient. The experimental results convey that the proposed method yields the high amount of accuracy. Graphical User Interface is developed to extract the point rainfall and time series rainfall over different locations within the range of Radar.
KeywordsDoppler weather radar Surface rainfall intensity Automatic weather station Correlation coefficient
We are thankful to Mr. Kannan from IMD Chennai, Mr. Yesubabu from NARL Gadanki, and Mr. M. S. Arunachalam from IIT Chennai, who helped us in understanding the DWR images and deriving the algorithm.
- 1.Doviak RJ, Zrnik DS (1992) Doppler radar and weather observations, 2nd ednGoogle Scholar
- 3.Suresh R, Ravichandran PK, Gupta JP, Thampi SB, Kalyanasundaram S, Rajesh Rao P (2005) On optimum rain rate estimation from a pulsed Doppler weather radar at Chennai. Mausam 56:433–446Google Scholar
- 4.Marshall JS, Palmer W (1948) The distribution of raindrops with size. Adv Geophys 2:1–56Google Scholar
- 5.Anil Kumar P, Anuradha B, Arunachalam MS (2017, July) Extraction of time series convective cloud profile from Doppler weather radar MAX (Z) product using a novel image processing technique. Int J Adv Eng Res Dev 4(7)Google Scholar
- 6.Gonzalez RC, Woods RE (1992) Digital image processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, p 716Google Scholar
- 7.Anil Kumar P, Anuradha B (2017) Estimating reflectivity of DWR images by analysing different colour spaces through distance measures. Adv Comput Sci Technol 10(8):2191–2200Google Scholar