A Study on Preprocessing Techniques for Ultrasound Images of Carotid Artery
Ultrasound imaging has been widely used in the diagnosis of atherosclerosis. To precisely diagnose the carotid plaque, the affected region should be segmented from the ultrasonic image of carotid artery. Many techniques have been used to identify the plaque in ultrasound images. Image enhancement and restoration are the important processes to acquire high-quality images from the noisy images. When the artery images are captured, noise occurs due to high-frequency rate. To acquire a high-quality image, preprocessing is the first step to be done. The quality of the image is improved in this process. The techniques involved in preprocessing are dealt in this paper. Preprocessing involves filtering the image and removing the noise by various filtering techniques. Salt-and-pepper and Gaussian noise in ultrasound images can be filtered using techniques like mean, median and Wiener filters. Salt-and-pepper noise is multiplicative in nature and it is introduced by the image acquisition mechanism. The quality of the input sensor is reflected by the Gaussian noise. In this paper, the performance of image enhancement techniques on ultrasound images are evaluated using quality metrics, namely Mean Square Error (MSE) and Peak Signal–to-Noise Ratio (PSNR).
KeywordsUltrasound Preprocessing Filtering Quality images
Compliance to Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Author S. Mounica, Author S. Ramakrishnan and Author B. Thamotharan declares that they have no conflict of interest.
We the authors would like to thank the Department of Science and Technology, India for their financial support through Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure (FIST) programme (SR/FST/ETI-349/2013).
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
We the authors sincerely thank the SASTRA Deemed to be University for providing an excellent infrastructure to carry out the research work.
- 2.Chen J, Li F, Fu Y, Liu Q, Huang J, Li K (2017) A study of image segmentation algorithms combined with different image preprocessing methods for thyroid ultrasound images. IEEE ICIST:1–5Google Scholar
- 4.Shruthi B, Renukalatha S, Siddappa DM (2015) Speckle noise reduction in Ultrasound images—A review. IJERT 4(02):1402–1406Google Scholar
- 7.Latha S, Dhanalakshmi S, Muthu P (2016) A Review and Comparative Study of Methods used in Finding Carotid Artery Abnormalities using Ultrasound Images. IJCTA 9(10):4891–4898Google Scholar
- 9.Jeyalakshmi TR, Ramar K (2010) A modified method for speckle noise removal in ultrasound medical images. Int J Comput Electr Eng 2(1):54Google Scholar
- 10.Sudha S, Suresh GR, Sukanesh R (2009) Speckle Noise Reduction in Ultrasound Images by Wavelet Thresholding based on Weighted Variance. Int J of Comput Theory Eng 7–12Google Scholar
- 11.Tang S, Chen SP (2008) An effective data preprocessing mechanism of ultrasound image recognition. IEEE ICBBE 2708–2711Google Scholar
- 13.Nath A (2013) Image denoising algorithms: a comparative study of different filtration approaches used in image restoration. In: 2013 International conference on communication systems and network technologies (CSNT). IEEE, pp 157–163Google Scholar
- 14.Paini A, Boutouyrie P, Calvet D, Zidi M, Agabiti-Rosei E, Laurent S Multiaxial mechanical characteristics of carotid plaque: analysis by MultiarGoogle Scholar