Exploring Image Classification of Thyroid Ultrasound Images Using Deep Learning
Deep learning for medical imaging has been at the forefront of its numerous applications, thanks to its versatility and robustness in deployment. In this paper, we explore various classification methodologies that are employed for datasets of relatively small in size to actually train a deep learning algorithm from scratch. Thyroid ultrasound images are classified using a small CNN from scratch, transfer learning and fine-tuning of Inception-v3, VGG-16. We present a comparison of the aforementioned methods through accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity.
KeywordsDeep learning Medical image analysis Thyroid ultrasound
We would like to express our gratitude to our founder chancellor Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba for His inspiration. We would like to thank Department of Physics and Department of Mathematics and computer science for their support and also Dr. Narsimhan and Dr. Trimurthy from the Sri Sathya Sai Mobile hospital for their valuable insights. Consent of all participants was taken.
- 1.Pedraza L, Vargas C, Narváez F, Durán O, Muñoz E, Romero E (2015) An open access thyroid ultrasound image databaseGoogle Scholar
- 2.Abadi M, Agarwal A, Barham P, Brevdo E, Chen Z, Citro C, Corrado GS, Davis A, Dean J, Devin M et al (2017) Tensorflow: large-scale machine learning on heterogeneous distributed systems. arXiv preprint arXiv:1603.04467
- 3.Chollet F Keras. Github repository, https://github.com/fchollet/keras
- 4.Szegedy C, Liu W, Jia Y, Sermanet P, Reed S, Anguelov D, Erhan D, Vanhoucke V, Rabinovich A (2015) Going deeper with convolutions. In: The IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition (CVPR)Google Scholar
- 5.Szegedy C, Vanhoucke V, Ioffe S, Shlens J, Wojna Z (2017) Rethinking the inception architecture for computer vision. In: Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, pp 2818–2826Google Scholar
- 6.Simonyan K, ZissermanVery A (2015) Deep convolutional networks for large-scale image recognition, arXiv:1409.1556v6
- 7.Sharif Razavian A, Azizpour H, Sullivan J, Carlsson S (2014) CNN features off-the-shelf: an astounding baseline for recognition, arXiv:1403.6382
- 10.Géron A (2017) Hands-on machine learning with Scikit-learn and tensorflow. O’Reilly Media, Inc., 1005 Gravenstein Highway North, SebastopolGoogle Scholar
- 11.Codebox.: Image_augmentor, https://github.com/codebox/image_augmentor