Introduction to Isolated Energy Systems
The opening of the transmission and distribution grid to independent power producers offering cheaper, efficient, smaller-scale plants is a paradigm shift from the era of larger centralized power schemes. This transformation is being witnessed by most developed and developing nations of the world. This chapter begins with a brief description of the world energy scenario, thereby emphasizing the need for isolated systems. In the present circumstances, where environmental vulnerability of energy systems is a sensitive issue, the relevance of isolated power systems is obvious. The potential of off-grid systems over the world, as well as in India, and the challenges to be addressed are derived from a detailed account of country-specific energy scenarios.
KeywordsEnergy scenario Isolated power systems Relevance of isolated power systems
- Bertheau, P., Cader, C., Blechinger, P., & Breyer, C. (2013). Geographic, technological and economic analysis of isolated diesel grids to assess the upgrading potential with renewable energies. A case study of Tanzania, 2nd international conference on Micro perspectives for decentralised energy supply, 28 Feb–1 Mar, Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar
- Breyer, C. (2012, September 25). Identifying off-grid diesel-grids on a global scale for economic advantageous upgrading with PV and wind power. In 5th ARE workshop academia meets industry, 27th PVSEC, Frankfurt.Google Scholar
- British Petroleum (BP). (2017, June). BP statistical review of world energy, London, UK. Available on https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/en/corporate/pdf/energy-economics/statistical-review-2017/bp-statistical-review-of-world-energy-2017-full-report.pdf. Last accessed on 3 Oct 2018.
- European Union (EU). (2016). Delegation to Tanzania and the EAC. Empowering Tanzania- energy for growth and sustainable development. Available on https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/20160512_01_en.pdf. Last accessed on 16 June 2018.
- GEI (Global Energy Institute). (2017). U. S. chamber of commerce: International Energy Agency releases its world energy outlook. Available on https://www.globalenergyinstitute.org/international-energy-agency-releases-its-world-energy-outlook. Last accessed on 16 June 2018.
- GTM Research. (2011, November). Beyond the electrical grid: India’s off-grid solar opportunity. Available on https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/beyond-grid-electricity-india#gs.yGwvBJ0. Last accessed on 16 June 2018.
- International Energy Agency (IEA). (2017). World energy outlook-2017-executive summary, 2017. Available on https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/WEO_2017_Executive_Summary_English_version.pdf. Last accessed on 2 Oct 2018.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC). (2015). Assessment of the off grid solar appliance lighting market in India, Market research report, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). (2012, June). Renewable energy jobs & access. Available on https://www.irena.org/DocumentDownloads/Publications/Renewable_Energy_Jobs_and_Access.pdf. Last accessed on 23 May 2018.
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). (2015). Off-Grid renewable energy systems: Status and methodological issues, New York, USA 2015. Available on http://www.irena.org/publications/2015/Feb/Off-grid-renewable-energy-systems-Status-and-methodological-issues. Last accessed on 2 Oct 2018.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE). (2017). Year end review 2017 – MNRE. Available on http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=174832. Last accessed on 6 June 2018.
- Off-Grid Solar Market Trends Report. (2016). Bloomberg new energy finance and lighting global, New York, USA. Available on https://www.lightingglobal.org/resource/off-grid-solar-market-trends-report-2016/. Last accessed on 2 Oct 2018.
- Price Water-house Coopers (PWC). (2016, May). Electricity beyond the grid: Accelerating access to sustainable power for all White paper, PWC Global Power & Utilities, Denmark.Google Scholar
- The Climate Group. (2015). The business case for off-grid energy in India. Available on https://www.theclimategroup.org/sites/default/files/archive/files/The-business-case-for-offgrid-energy-in-India.pdf. Last accessed on 3 Oct 2018.
- The White House. (2016). Catalysing global markets for off-grid energy access. Washington, DC. Available on https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/default/files/docs/catalyzing_global_markets_for_off-grid_energy_access_final_cover.pdf. Last accessed on 23 May 2018.
- Tongia, R. (2018, February). Microgrids in India- myths, misunderstandings, and the need for proper accounting, Brookings India IMPACT series no. 022018. Available on https://www.brookings.edu/research/microgrids-in-india-myths-misunderstandings-and-the-need-for-proper-accounting/. Last accessed on 3 Oct 2018.
- UNFCC. (2016). Tanzania – Solar as a service – Momentum for change. Available on http://unfccc.int/mfc2016/project.html?p=tanzania-solar-as-a-service. Last accessed on 16 July 2018.
- United Nations (UN). (2017). Sustainable development goals. Available on https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg7. Last accessed on 16 July 2018.
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO). (2017). Renewable energy-based mini-grids: The UNIDO experience, inclusive and sustainable industrial development working paper series. Available on https://www.unido.org/sites/default/files/2017-03/Minigrid_report_Jan2017.v19_FINAL29906_0.pdf. Last accessed on 3 Oct 2018.
- World Bank (WB). (2014). Project performance assessment report-the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, rural electrification and renewable energy development project. Available on http://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/sites/default/files/Data/reports/Bangladesh_RuralElecrificationRenewables_PowerSectorTA_PowerDPC_PPAR_885460PPAR0P070C0disclosed060240140_0.pdf. Last accessed on 3 Oct 2018.
- World Bank Group (WBG). (2016). Reliable and affordable off-grid electricity services for the poor: Lessons from World Bank Group experience, Washington DC, USA, 2016. Available on https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/evaluations/offgrid-electricity-services. Last accessed on 2 Oct 2018.