Dynamic Modeling of a Sheep Hair Shearing Device Using RecurDyn and Its Verification
This paper discusses a general procedure for creating a computer-aided design (CAD) model of an existing commercial sheep hair shearing device for simulation purpose. In this paper, simulation was carried out using the commercial software RecurDyn while the CAD models of the components of the device were created using SolidWorks software. Note that the mechanism in the device can be identified as an RCCR spatial four-bar linkage which was also modeled analytically from its kinematics point of view. The dynamic equations of motion were developed using the concept of the cut-joint approach and the Decoupled Natural Orthogonal Complement (DeNOC) matrices. The equations of motion were then used to simulate the mechanism in Matlab environment. The results were compared to those obtained using the CAD model in RecurDyn environment.
KeywordsSheep Wool Spatial Four-bar RCCR RecurDyn Lagrange multipliers
The work presented in this paper was carried out under Project No. RP03164 at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi in India. It was funded by the Central Wool Development Board of India. The objective of the project was “Dissemination of low-cost sheep hair shearing device by IIT Delhi.” The authors would like to thank the members of Rural Technology Action Group (RuTAG) IIT Delhi for their much-extended help and support.
- 1.RecurDyn homepage.: http://www.functionbay.org/
- 2.Bennett, G.T.: A new mechanism. Engineering. 76, 777–778 (1903)Google Scholar
- 3.Hervé, J. M.; Dahan, M.: The two kinds of Bennett’s mechanisms. In: Proc. Sixth IFToMM World Congress on Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, New Delhi, Vol.1, pp. 116–119 (1983)Google Scholar
- 5.Chaudhary, H., Saha, S.K.: Dynamics of Closed-loop Systems in Dynamics and Balancing of Multibody Systems, SE – 3, vol. 37, pp. 45–86. Springer, Berlin/Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, S. K.: 3D motion simulation to the mechanism of 4 axis CNC machining center. Taiwan ADAMS User Seminar and Academic Thesis Delivery (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Rane, S.; Grover, V.; Vashista, V., Jere, A., Saha, S.K.: Computer aided analysis of a sheep shearing machine. In: Proceedings of the National Conference on Emerging Trends in Mechanical Engineering, pages 1–10, SVNIT, Surat, June 4–5, (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Meshlab homepage.: http://www.meshlab.net/#about
- 12.Solidworks homepage.: http://www.solidworks.in/