Experiments on a Floating Body Subjected to Forced Oscillation in Calm Water at the Presence of an Open-to-Sea Compartment
This paper presents results of the physical experiments carried out at the SSRC, aiming at measurements of hydrodynamic reactions on a cylindrical body forced to roll in calm water with an open-to-sea compartment. The research addresses the problem of ship-floodwater interaction—an issue of fundamental importance in predicting roll damping for ships in damaged condition.
KeywordsDamaged ship hydrodynamics Ship-floodwater interaction Physical experiments
The authors would like to express their gratitude to the management and staff of the Kelvin Hydrodynamics Laboratory of UoS. They also acknowledge and appreciate the travel support offered by the AuxNavalia project (www.auxnavalia.org), which is funded by the Transnational Cooperation in the European Atlantic Area (www.coop-atlantico.com).
- Cichowicz, J., Jasionowski, A., Vassalos, D.: “Uncertainty Assessment in Experiments on a Floating Body in Forced Roll Motion in Calm Water”, Proceedings of the 10th International Stability Workshop, 2010.Google Scholar
- Cichowicz, J., Vassalos, D., Jasionowski, A.: “Hydrodynamics Of Damaged Ship In Roll Mode Of Motion – An Experimental Approach”, Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Advanced Model Measurements Technology for the EU Maritime Industry, 2009.Google Scholar
- de Kat, J. O.: “Dynamics of a ship with partially flooded compartment”, Contemporary ideas on ship stability, Elsevier Science Ltd., 2000.Google Scholar
- Faltinsen, O. M., Timokha, A. N.: “Asymptotic modal approximation of nonlinear resonant sloshing in a rectangular tank with small fluid depth”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 470, pp. 319–357, 2002.Google Scholar
- Kong, X. J., Faltinsen, O. M. “Coupling between Ship Motions and Flooding of a Damaged Ship in Waves”. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Hydrodynamics (ICHD’08), 2008.Google Scholar
- Jasionowski, A., Vasslos, D.: “Damaged ship hydrodynamics”, Proceedings of the 6th International Ship Stability Workshop, Webb Institute, 2002.Google Scholar
- Rakhmanin, N. N., Zhivitsa, S. G.: “The influence of liquid cargo dynamics on ship stability”, Contemporary ideas on ship stability, Elsevier Science Ltd., 2000.Google Scholar