Estimating Dynamic Stability Event Probabilities from Simulation and Wave Modeling Methods
Predicting the dynamic stability of ships in severe wave environments is challenging, not only due to the complex non-linear hydrodynamics, but also the need to characterize the rarity of events. The latter involves conducting enough simulations to calculate associated small probabilities or alternate approaches for estimating the rarity of events. This paper presents techniques for calculating probabilities of occurrence of rare dynamic stability events using direct counting, Poisson distribution fitting techniques and estimating the dynamic event probabilities. The latter probability estimate is obtained by defining dangerous wave conditions that produce rare events through hydrodynamic simulations and estimating their probabilities of occurrence through joint probability distributions or simulations of the wave environment. The accuracy of these calculations is discussed. An example application is presented using a U.S. Coast Guard Cutter along with information useful for operator guidance in heavy weather. A recommendation is presented for further work on defining the limiting probabilities one might use for design or operational criteria.
KeywordsShip stability Dynamic stability Simulation probabilities
The opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not represent official policy of the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Bretschneider, C. L., 1959. Wave variability and wave spectra for wind-generated gravity waves. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Beach Erosion Board, Tech. Mem., No. 113, 192 pp. (Available from Maury Oceanographic Library, Stennis Space Center, MS 39522-5001).Google Scholar
- de Kat, J.O., Brower, R., McTaggart, K, Thomas, W.L 1994 “Intact ship survivability in extreme waves: criteria from a research and Navy perspective” STAB 94, Fifth Internat. Conf. on Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles Melbourne, FL.Google Scholar
- Leadbetter, M.R., Lindgren, G., Rootzen, H., (1983) Extremes and Related Properties of Random Sequences and Processes, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Leadbetter, M.R, Rychlik, I., “Poisson Regression models for estimation of capsize risk”, Tech. Memo 2:4, USCG Task 2, June 2007.Google Scholar
- Rychlik, I., Leadbetter, M.R. (2009) Estimating Capsize Risk for a Vessel in a Following Sea, Bulletin Int. Stat. Ins.Google Scholar