Modeling of Surf-Riding in Irregular Waves
Surf-riding is an important phenomenon for the evaluation of ship dynamic stability, as it is related to one of the principal mechanisms of broaching-to. The evaluation of the probability of surf-riding in irregular waves is a necessary step toward determining the probability of broaching-to following surf-riding. To facilitate the probabilistic study of surf-riding, a simple model of surging and surf-riding in irregular waves of variable bandwidth is introduced. This model can be used to identify patterns of surf-riding in irregular waves.
KeywordsSurf-riding Irregular waves
The work described in this paper has been funded by the Office of Naval Research (ONR) under Dr. Patrick Purtell and Dr. Woei-Min Lin, NSWCCD Independent Apply Research (IAR) program under Dr. Jack Price and by ONR Global under Dr. Richard Vogelsong and Dr. Salahuddin Ahmed.
- Belenky, V., Spyrou, K. J., Weems, K. M., 2011, “Split-Time Method for Surf-Riding and Broaching-To,” Proceedings of 12th International Ship Stability Workshop, (ISSW 2011), Washington DC, pp. 163–168.Google Scholar
- Belenky, V., Spyrou, K.J., Weems, K.M., 2012 “Evaluation of the Probability of Surf-Riding in Irregular Waves with the Time-Split Method,” Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles (STAB 2012), Athens, Greece, pp. 29–37.Google Scholar
- Bishop, R. C., W. Belknap, C. Turner, B. Simon, and J. H. Kim, 2005, “Parametric Investigation on the Influence of GM, Roll damping, and Above-Water Form on the Roll Response of Model 5613”. Report NSWCCD-50-TR-2005/027, Bethesda, Washington DC.Google Scholar
- Kan, M., 1990, “Surging of Large Amplitude and Surf-Riding of Ships in Following Seas,” Selected papers in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, The Society of Naval Architects of Japan, 28, Ship and Ocean Foundation, Tokyo, 14 p.Google Scholar
- Spyrou, K.J., 1996, “Dynamic Instability in Quartering Seas: The Behavior of a Ship During Broaching,” Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 46–59.Google Scholar
- Spyrou, K.J., Belenky, V., Themelis, N., Weems, K.M., 2012, “Conditions of Surf-riding in an Irregular Seaway,” Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles (STAB 2012), Athens, Greece, pp. 323–336.Google Scholar
- Spyrou, K.J., Kontolefas, I., Themelis, N., 2016, “Dynamics of the Surf-Riding Behavior of A Ship in A Multi-Chromatic Sea Environment” Proc 31st Symp. Naval Hydrodynamics, Monterey, California, USA, 12 p.Google Scholar