Recommendations of RILEM TC 252-CMB on the Effect of Short Term Aging Temperature on Long Term Properties of Asphalt Binder
The Rilem Technical Committee on Chemo Mechanical Characterization of Bituminous Materials has investigated the effect of short term aging temperature on long term properties of asphalt binder, chemically, physically and microstructurally. The increased use of warm mix asphalt (WMA) technologies warrants such investigations in order to validate laboratory aging procedures. To this end, penetration, softening point, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, dynamic shear rheology (DSR) and electron microscopy (ESEM) were used. The experimental results on binders and warm (WMA) and hot (HMA) mixtures from nine participating laboratories indicate that the binder source, as well as method of evaluation, result in different rankings and behaviors among the four binders used. The TC recommends the development of appropriate RTFOT aging temperatures for the simulation of binder aging in WMA.
KeywordsAging WMA RTFOT PAV DSR FTIR ESEM Asphalt Bitumen
The authors would like to acknowledge the contributions of the active members of the Rilem 252-CMB technical committee in terms of experimental results and supplying bitumen samples.
- D’Angelo, J., Harm, E., Bartoszek, J., Baumgardner, G.L., Corrigan, M., Cowsert, J., Harman, T., Jamshidi, M., Jones, W., Newcomb, D., Prowell, B., Sines, R., Yeaton, B.: Warm-Mix Asphalt: European Practice. FHWA-PL-08-007. US Federal Highway Administration, Alexandria (VA) (2008)Google Scholar
- EN 12591: Bitumen and bituminous binders. Specifications for paving grade bitumen (2009)Google Scholar
- EN 12607-1: Bitumen and bituminous binders. Determination of the resistance to hardening under influence of heat and air. RTFOT method (2014)Google Scholar
- EN 1426: Bitumen and bituminous binders—determination of needle penetration. European Committee for Standardization (2007)Google Scholar
- EN 1427 (2015) Bitumen and bituminous binders. Determination of the softening point. Ring and Ball methodGoogle Scholar
- EN 14769: Bitumen and bituminous binders - Accelerated long-term ageing conditioning by a Pressure Ageing Vessel (PAV). Brussels 2012Google Scholar
- EN12697-3: Bituminous mixtures. Test methods for hot mix asphalt. Part 3: Bitumen recovery: Rotary evaporator (2013)Google Scholar
- Ferrotti, G., Baaj, H., Besamusca, J., Bocci, M., Cannone-Falchetto, A., Grenfell, J., Hofko, B., Porot, L., Poulikakos, L., You, Z.: Comparison of short term laboratory ageing of bitumen and HMA and WMA bitumen aging. Submitted to the CMB Symposium (2018)Google Scholar
- Godenzoni, C., Graziani, A., Perraton, D.: Complex modulus characterisation of cold recycled mixtures with foamed bitumen and different contents of reclaimed asphalt, Road Materials and Pavement Design (2016)Google Scholar
- Hofko, B., Cannone Falchetto, A., Grenfell, J., Huber, L., Lu, X., Porot, L., Poulikakos, L.D., You, Z.: Effect of short-term ageing temperature on bitumen properties. RMPD, 18(sup 2), 108-117 (2017)Google Scholar
- Porot, L., Eduard, P.: Addressing asphalt binder aging through the Viscous to Elastic Transition ISAP symposium 2016 JacksonholeGoogle Scholar