Investigation of the Asphalt Binder Sample Preparation Methods Based on AFM
The preparation methods of asphalt binder samples have significant influences on the experimental results when the microscale analysis of asphalt binder was conducted by the Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) devices. In this paper, an unmodified asphalt binder was selected and then, the materials were prepared with three different preparation methods: the solvent method, the alcohol lamp method, and the oven method, respectively. Then, the phase analysis was chosen as the key parameter for comparison purpose; with following the concluded conclusion. Results indicate that the solvent method may partial damage the structure of asphalt binder and, potentially leads to the misestimation. Besides, the alcohol lamp method burned sample with a flame for the preparation; therefore, the fluctuated heating temperature will age the material is easily and the repeatable is not good. Consequently, the oven method was recommended due to it has the least effect on the materials’ structure and chemical property, and further investigation will be conducted.
KeywordsAsphalt binder Atomic force microscopy (AFM) Sample preparation methods Microscopic analysis Evaluation parameter
- Arifuzzaman, M.: Nano-scale evaluation of moisture damage in asphalt. Doctoral dissertation, The University of New Mexico (2010)Google Scholar
- Fan, Z.F.: Study on basic theory of asphalt micro-characteristics based on asphalt aging. Master dissertation, South China University of Technology (2016). (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- JTG F40: Technical Specifications for Construction of Highway Asphalt Pavements. Ministry of Communications of the People’s Republic of China, Beijing (2004). (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang, Z.P.: Surface physical Chemistry, Tongji University Press (2015). (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Yang, J., Wang, X.T., Gong, M.H.: Study on microscopic image of asphalt atomic force microscopy. Acta Pet. Sin. 31(5), 1110–1115 (2015)Google Scholar