Perspective Cuts for the ACOPF with Generators
The alternating current optimal power flow problem is a fundamental problem in the management of smart grids. In this paper we consider a variant which includes activation/deactivation of generators at some of the grid sites. We formulate the problem as a mathematical program, prove its NP-hardness w.r.t. activation/deactivation, and derive two perspective reformulations.
KeywordsPower flow Reformulation NP-hardness
This paper has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant agreement n. 764759. The second author is partially supported by MIUR PRIN2015 project no. 2015B5F27W. The last author (LL) is grateful for financial support by CNR STM Program prot. AMMCNT-CNR n. 80058 dated 05/12/2017.
- 2.Bienstock, D.: Electrical Transmission System Cascades and Vulnerability: an Operations Research Viewpoint. Number 22 in MOS-SIAM Optimization. SIAM, Philadelphia (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Bienstock, D., Verma, A.: Strong NP-hardness of AC power flows feasibility. Technical report (2015). arXiv:1512.07315
- 5.Fourer, R., Gay, D., Kernighan, B.W.: AMPL: A Modeling Language for Mathematical Programming. AMPL Optimization LLC (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.IBM. ILOG CPLEX 12.6 User’s Manual. IBM (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Josz, C.: Application of polynomial optimization to electricity transmission networks. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. Paris VI (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Panciatici, P.: Private Communication (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Ruiz, M., Maeght, J., Marié, A., Panciatici, P., Renaud, A.: A progressive method to solve large-scale AC optimal power flow with discrete variables and control of the feasibility. In: Proceedings of the Power Systems Computation Conference, PSCC, Piscataway, vol. 18. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Sahinidis, N.: BARON user Manual v. 17.8.9. The Optimization Firm LLC (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Salgado, E.: Fast relaxations for alternating current optimal power flow. Master’s thesis, LIX, Ecole Polytechnique (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.Salgado, E., Scozzari, A., Tardella, F., Liberti, L.: Alternating current optimal power flow with generator selection. In: Proceedings of ISCO 2018, vol. 10856, pp. 364–375. LNCS (2018)Google Scholar