An Integer Linear Programming Formulation for Routing Problem of University Bus Service
The initial phase of our work, concentrating on the formulation of a staff service bus routing problem (SSBRP), is motivated by a real life problem of a university at a multi-centric metropolitan city. In order to improve the overall cost efficiency of the existing staff service bus operation system of the Technical University of Istanbul (ITU) we ultimately aim to find a set of staff service bus routes that provides transportation to and from four campuses for its eligible academics and administrative staff currently using service buses. An integer linear programming formulation for the SSBRP for the single campus case is presented.
KeywordsOptimization School bus routing problem Traffic and transportation
- 6.Bowerman, R., Hall, B., Calamai, P.: A multi-objective optimization approach to urban school bus routing: formulation and solution method. Transp. Res. Part A 29(2), 107–123 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Desrosiers, J., Ferland, J.A., Rousseau, J.-M., Lapalme, G., Chapleau, L.: TRANSCOL: a multi-period school bus routing and scheduling system. TIMS Stud. Manage. Sci. 22, 47–71 (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Desrosiers, J., Ferland, J.A., Rousseau, J.-M., Lapalme, G., Chapleau, L.: An overview of a school busing system. In: Jaiswal, N.K. (ed.) Scientific Management of Transport Systems, pp. 235–243. North-Holland, Amsterdam (1981)Google Scholar
- 18.Schittekat, P., Sevaux, M., Sörensen, K.: A mathematical formulation for a school bus routing problem. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 2006 International Conference on Service Systems and Service Management, Troyes, France (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.Toth, P., Vigo, D.: Vehicle routing: problems, methods, and applications. MOS-SIAM series on optimization, vol. 18, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, SIAM (2014)Google Scholar