Wine Tourism Experiences and Marketing: The Case of the Douro Valley in Portugal
Wine tourism is considered a crucial element for the tourism industry and for the sector of viniculture and wine industry. In this context, wine-producing regions increasingly seek ways of providing value-added experiences to visitors in order to develop the destination and possibly gain a competitive advantage over its competitors. Wine tourism experiences alongside the increasing usage of social media are critical for the development of wine tourism and destinations. Based on a survey questionnaire, interview, and on online visitors’ reviews on social media platforms, namely TripAdvisor and Facebook, the main aim of this exploratory study is to evaluate visitors’ wine tourism experience in the Douro Valley of Portugal. This wine-producing region is a significant wine tourism destination located in the North of Portugal and is mainly known as the place of origin of the port wine and as the first demarcated and regulated wine-producing region in the world. The main contributions of this chapter are to provide insights into visitors’ behaviour and evaluation about their wine-related experiences, and to present recommendations that can increase the interest of tourists and improve wine tourism experiences, and ultimately contribute positively to the development of the wine tourism destination.
KeywordsWine tourism Experiences Tourism marketing Portugal Douro Valley
- ADVID. 2017. http://www.advid.pt/. Accessed on 27 October 2017.
- Ali-Knight, J., & Carlsen, J. (2003). An exploration of the use of extraordinary experiences in wine tourism. In L. Lockshin & C. Rungie (Eds.), Proceedings of the international colloquium in wine marketing. Adelaide, Australia: Wine Marketing Group, University of South Australia.Google Scholar
- Alonso, A., Bressan, A., O´Shea, M., & Krajsic, V. (2015). Perceived benefits and challenges to wine tourism involvement: An international perspective. International Journal of Tourism Research, 17, 66–81.Google Scholar
- Asero, V., & Patti, S. (2009). From wine production to wine tourism experience: The case of Italy (AAWE Working Paper No. 52). American Association of Wine Economists.Google Scholar
- Bardin, L. (1979). Análise de Conteúdo (p. 70). Lisboa: Edições.Google Scholar
- Barreto, A. (1993). Douro. Lisboa: Inapa.Google Scholar
- Brochado, A., Silva, R., & Paulino, C. (2014). The world of great wines: The Douro Valley experience. International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering, 8(4), 1080–1087.Google Scholar
- Bryman, A. (2001). Social Research Methods. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Carlsen, J., & Charters, S. (2006). Introduction. In J. Carlsen & S. Charters (Eds.), Global wine tourism: Research, management and marketing. Oxon: CABI.Google Scholar
- Costa, A., & Kastenholz, E. (2010). O Enoturismo na Rota do Vinho do Porto. In 16º Congresso da APDR, Universidade da Madeira, Funchal, 8 a 10 de Junho, Madeira, pp. 1714–1727.Google Scholar
- Costa, A., & Kastenholz, E. (2012). Proposta do modelo conceitual de decisão enoturística para a Região do Douro. In Actas do VIII Citurdes. Congresso Internacional sobre Turismo Rural e Desenvolvimento Sustentável – Turismo Rural em tempos de novas ruralidades (pp. 724–745). Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro.Google Scholar
- Facebook. (2016). https://newsroom.fb.com/company-info/. Accessed on 27 October 2017.
- Faugère, C., Bouzdine-Chameeva, T., Pesme, J.-O., & Durrieu, F. (2013, January 16). The impact of tourism strategies and regional factors on wine tourism performance: Bordeaux vs. Mendoza, Mainz, Florence, Porto and Cape Town. Available at https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2201563.
- Finn, M., Elliot-White, M., & Walton, M. (2000). Tourism & leisure research methods: Data collection, analysis and interpretation. Harlow: Pearson Longman.Google Scholar
- Fraser, R., & Alonso, A. (2006). Do tourism and wine always fit together? A consideration of business motivations. In J. Carlsen & S. Charters (Eds.), Global wine tourism: Research, management and marketing. Oxon: CABI.Google Scholar
- Getz, D. (2000). Explore wine tourism—Management, development & destinations. New York: Cognizant Communication Corporation.Google Scholar
- Griffin, T., & Loersch, A. (2006). The determinants of quality experiences in an emerging wine region. In J. Carlsen & S. Charters (Eds.), Global wine tourism: Research, management and marketing. Oxon: CABI.Google Scholar
- Hall, C. M., & Mitchell, R. (2000, August). Wine tourism in the mediterranean: A tool for restructuring and development. Thunderbird International Business Review, 42, 445–465.Google Scholar
- Hall, C. M., Sharples, E., Cambourne, B., & Macionis, N. (Eds.). (2000). Wine tourism around the world: Development, management and markets. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Inácio, A. I. (2008). O Enoturismo em Portugal: da “cultura” do vinho ao vinho como cultura: a oferta enoturística nacional e as suas implicações no desenvolvimento local e regional. Tese de Doutoramento em Geografia e Planeamento Regional e Urbano, Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa.Google Scholar
- IVDP. (2017). https://www.ivdp.pt/pagina.asp?codPag=167. Accessed on 27 October 2017.
- Medina, X., & Tresserras, J. (2008). Turismo enológico y rutas del vino en Cataluña. Analisis de casos: D. O. Penedès, D. O. Priorat y D. O. Montsant. Pasos. Revista de Turismo y Patrimonio Cultural, 6(3), 493–509.Google Scholar
- Neuendorf, K. (2002). The content analysis guidebook. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Neuman, W. (2006). Social research methods—Qualitative and quantitative approaches (6th ed.). London: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Pine, B. J., & Gilmore, J. H. (1998). Welcome to the experience economy. Harvard Business Review, 76, 97–105.Google Scholar
- Ribeiro, J. (2000). Caracterização genérica da região vinhateira do Alto Douro. Douro – Estudos & Documentos, Vol. V (10). Porto: Grupo de Estudos de História da Viticultura Duriense e do Vinho do Porto. pp. 11–29.Google Scholar
- Roberts, L., & Sparks, B. (2006). Enhancing the wine tourism experience: The customers’ viewpoint. In J. Carlsen & S. Charters (Eds.), GLobal wine tourism: Research, management and marketing. Oxon: CABI.Google Scholar
- Sánchez, A., Rama, M., & García, J. (2016, November). Bibliometric analysis of publications on wine tourism in the databases Scopus and WoS. European Research on Management and Business Economics, 23, 1–8.Google Scholar
- Smith, S. (2017). Practical tourism research (2nd ed.). Wallingford: CABI.Google Scholar
- Sousa, F., & Pereira, G. (1988). Alto Douro—Douro Superior. Lisboa: Editorial Presença.Google Scholar
- Torre, G., Ferreira, A., & Guzmán, T. (2008). O Enoturismo: Nova Alternativa ao Turismo Tradicional: Um estudo de Caso (Revista Turismo & Desenvolvimento, No, 10), 85–95.Google Scholar
- TripAdvisor. (2017). https://tripadvisor.mediaroom.com/US-about-us. Accessed on 27 October 2017.
- Wines of Portugal. (2012). http://www.winesofportugal.info/. Accessed on 27 October 2017.