Crypto Currency: What Do We Know About Investment Performance and Risk?
Crypto currency originated in Nakamoto (Bitcoin: a peer-to-peer electronic cash system. https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf), which described a digital payment system that did not require a third party, but instead a network of participants. The underlying technology, known as blockchain, has allowed for the growth of crypto currency. Bitcoin and more recently other crypto currencies serve as tokens used in blockchain systems.
Although bitcoin has been traded 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, since 2010, rival crypto currencies started to appear in 2014. Since 2015, there have been competing coins, including ethereum, which operates on the ethereum network. Ethereum has a current market capitalization of $47.8 billion as of July 24, 2018, which is exceeded only by bitcoin’s $140.1 billion market capitalization on July 24, 2018 (These statistics were obtained from https://www.cryptocompare.com on July 24, 2018, at 10:59 AM EDT).
KeywordsEthereum Blockchain technology Digital payment system Financial performance Financial markets
- Corbett, Shaen, Andrew Meegan, Charles Larkin, Brian Lucey and Larisa Yarovaya. 2018. “Exploring the Dynamic Relationships between Cryptocurrencies and other Financial Assets,” Economics Letters, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Demir, Ender, Giray Gozgor, Chi K.M. Lao and Samuel A. Vigne. 2018. “Does Economic Policy Uncertainty Predict the Bitcoin returns? An Empirical Investigation,” Finance Research Letters, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Gandal, Neil, J.T. Hamrick, Tyler Moore and Tali Oberman. 2017. In 16th Workshop on the Economics of Information Security (WEIS).Google Scholar
- Griffin, John and Amin Shams. 2018. “Is Bitcoin Really Untethered?” https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3195066.
- Harvey, Campbell. 2016. “Cryptofinance,” https://ssrn.com/abstract=243829.
- Nakamoto, Satoshi. 2008. “Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System,” https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf.
- Rooney, Kate. 2018. “Bitwise joins the race to launch SEC-regulated cryptocurrency ETF”. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/24/bitwise-joins-the-race-to-launch-sec-regulated-cryptocurrency-etf.html.
- Vigna, Paul. 2014. “5 Things About Mt. Gox’s Crisis”. The Wall Street Journal. April 25.Google Scholar
- Weiczner, Jennifer 2017. “What the SEC Bitcoin ETF Decision Means for the Future of Cryptocurrency”. Fortune March 10. http://fortune.com/2017/03/10/bitcoin-price-etf-winklevoss-approval/.
- Weiczner, Jennifer 2018. “Coinbase Eyes Bitcoin ETF With New Cryptocurrency Index Fund”. Fortune March 6. http://fortune.com/2018/03/06/coinbase-bitcoin-cryptocurrency-fund/.