Thoughts on Coding and Reimbursement
Accurate Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) (American Medical Association Current Procedural Technology Professional Edition; 2013) and International Classification of Diseases (ICD) coding ([cited 2018 October 30]; Available from: http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/ ) along with documentation within the report are critical parts of the reporting and billing processes. Errors in coding ultimately lead to denial of claims from Medicaid and Medicare and insurance payers. CPT codes provide third-party payers with information about the procedure that was performed, while ICD codes provide them with the indication for the procedure.
KeywordsCurrent procedural terminology for cardiac imaging International Classification of Diseases (ICD) coding for cardiac imaging Cardiac CT coding and reimbursement Coding and reimbursement for cardiac CT ICD coding for cardiac CT
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Medical Association Current Procedural Technology Professional Edition; 2013.Google Scholar
- 2.International Classification of Diseases (ICD), 11th Revision (ICD-11) [Cited 2018 October 30]. Available from: http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/
- 3.Wolk MJ, Bailey SR, Doherty JU, Douglas PS, Hendel RC, Kramer CM, et al. ACCF/AHA/ASE/ASNC/HFSA/HRS/SCAI/SCCT/SCMR/STS 2013 multimodality appropriate use criteria for the detection and risk assessment of stable ischemic heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, American Heart Association, American Society of Echocardiography, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, Heart Failure Society of America, Heart Rhythm Society, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63(4):380–406.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hoffmann U, Bamberg F, Chae CU, Nichols JH, Rogers IS, Seneviratne SK, et al. Coronary computed tomography angiography for early triage of patients with acute chest pain: the ROMICAT (Rule Out Myocardial Infarction using Computer Assisted Tomography) trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;53(18):1642–50.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Habets J, Mali WP, Budde RP. Multidetector CT angiography in evaluation of prosthetic heart valve dysfunction. Radiographics Rev Publ Radiological Soc North Am Inc. 2012;32(7):1893–905.Google Scholar