Optimization of a Fractional Differential Equation
We consider a linear quadratic optimization problem where the state is governed by a fractional ordinary differential equation. We also consider control constraints. We show existence and uniqueness of an optimal state–control pair and propose a method to approximate it. Due to the low regularity of the solution to the state equation, rates of convergence cannot be proved unless problematic assumptions are made. Instead, we appeal to the theory of Γ-convergence to show the convergence of our scheme.
E. Otárola was supported in part by CONICYT through FONDECYT project 3160201. A.J. Salgado was supported in part by NSF grant DMS-1418784.
- 1.N.I. Achieser. Theory of approximation. Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1992. Translated from the Russian and with a preface by Charles J. Hyman, Reprint of the 1956 English translation.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Dal Maso. An introduction to Γ-convergence. Progress in Nonlinear Differential Equations and their Applications, 8. Birkhäuser Boston, Inc., Boston, MA, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.D. del Castillo-Negrete. Fractional diffusion models of nonlocal transport. Phys. Plasmas, 13(8):082308, 16, 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Diethelm. The analysis of fractional differential equations, volume 2004 of Lecture Notes in Mathematics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2010. An application-oriented exposition using differential operators of Caputo type.Google Scholar
- 14.R. Gorenflo, A.A. Kilbas, F. Mainardi, and S.V. Rogosin. Mittag-Leffler functions, related topics and applications. Springer Monographs in Mathematics. Springer, Heidelberg, 2014.Google Scholar
- 15.R. Gorenflo, J. Loutchko, and Y. Luchko. Computation of the Mittag-Leffler function E α,β(z) and its derivative. Fract. Calc. Appl. Anal., 5(4):491–518, 2002. Dedicated to the 60th anniversary of Prof. Francesco Mainardi.Google Scholar
- 18.L. V. Kantorovich and G. P. Akilov. Funktsionalnyi analiz. “Nauka”, Moscow, third edition, 1984.Google Scholar
- 20.M.A. Krasnosel’skiı̆ and Ja.B. Rutickiı̆. Convex functions and Orlicz spaces. Translated from the first Russian edition by Leo F. Boron. P. Noordhoff Ltd., Groningen, 1961.Google Scholar
- 23.J.-L. Lions. Optimal control of systems governed by partial differential equations. Translated from the French by S. K. Mitter. Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 170. Springer-Verlag, New York-Berlin, 1971.Google Scholar
- 28.S. G. Samko, A. A. Kilbas, and O. I. Marichev. Fractional integrals and derivatives. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Yverdon, 1993. Theory and applications, Edited and with a foreword by S. M. Nikol’skiı̆, Translated from the 1987 Russian original, Revised by the authors.Google Scholar
- 31.F. Tröltzsch. Optimal control of partial differential equations, volume 112 of Graduate Studies in Mathematics. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2010. Theory, methods and applications, Translated from the 2005 German original by Jürgen Sprekels.Google Scholar
- 33.X. Ye and C. Xu. A spectral method for optimal control problems governed by the time fractional diffusion equation with control constraints. In Spectral and high order methods for partial differential equations—ICOSAHOM 2012, volume 95 of Lect. Notes Comput. Sci. Eng., pages 403–414. Springer, Cham, 2014.Google Scholar