High-Frequency Quantum Transport
The Quantum Hall effect and the quantum interference phenomena in mesoscopic systems are two prominent examples of quantum transport in semiconductors. In the past, they have mostly been studied using DC or low-frequency measuring techniques [1,2]. The use of high-frequency electric fields, however, is of particular interest if the product ωτ ϕ 1 [3–6] where 1/τ ϕ is the phase breaking rate which determines the phase coherence of the wave function. High-frequency experiments regarding the integer Quantum Hall effect (IQHE) are summarized in . In the microwave range they were performed by two groups [8,9]. Recently, more detailed data about the Hall plateau width and the disappearance of the plateaus at high frequencies were published [10, 11]. In quantum wires high-frequency effects were studied using narrow silicon MOSFETs and GaAs epitaxial layers  and metal films [5,12]. In the first experiments on heterostructure quantum wires  the influence of a microwave field on the weak electron localization (WEL) and the universal conductance fluctuations (UCF) was studied.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Physics and Technology of Submicron Structures, H. Heinrich, G. Bauer, F. Kuchar, eds., Springer Series in Solid State Sciences 83 (1988)Google Scholar
- D E. Khmelnitskii, Physica 126 B, 235 (1984)Google Scholar
- K.Y. Lim, I. Auer, F. Kuchar, G. Weimann, W. Schlapp, A. Forchel, A. Menschig, Surf. Sc, in printGoogle Scholar
- F. Kuchar, J. Lutz, K.Y. Lim, G. Weimann, W. Schlapp, A. Forchel, A. Menschig, Extended Abstracts, Symposium “New Phenomena in Mesoscopic Structures”, p. 200, Hawaii (1989)Google Scholar
- A. Menschig, A. Forchel, B. Roos, R. Germann, K. Pressel, W. Heuring, D. Grützmacher, submitted to Appl. Phys. Lett.Google Scholar
- B. Kramer, Y. Ono, T. Ohtsuki, Springer Ser. Sol. St. Sci. 87, 24 (1989)Google Scholar
- B. Huckestein, W. Apel, B. Kramer, Springer Ser. in Sol. St. Sc, in printGoogle Scholar
- J. Lutz, F. Kuchar, A. Menschig, A. Forchel, D. Grützmacher, P. Benton, S.P. Beaumont, and C.D.W. Wilckinson, Proc. 20th ICPS, Thessaloniki, in print (1990)Google Scholar