Direct Methods Packages in 1990
MITHRIL (Gilmore, 1984, Gilmore & Brown 1989)
MULTAN88 : developed in its current form by Debaerdemaeker, Germain, Main, Refaat, Tate and Woolfson. MULTAN was the first direct methods package assembled for use by non-experts, and it has had a revolutionary impact on crystallography. It is still the most widely used suite of programs.
SHELXS-86: SHELX in its many forms is the most widely used crystallographic package for structure solution and refinement. I will concentrate here on the direct methods routines in SHELXS-86, but with some comment on new developments in the SHELXS-90 system.
SIMPEL: In its current form produced by Peschar and Schenk, and based on symbolic addition to produce a starting set.
SIR88: The principal authors are Cascarano, Giacovazzo, Burla, Polidori, Camalli, Spagna and Viterbo. MULTAN-like in its construction it contains novel features based around structure seminvariants.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buerskens, P.T., Bosman, W.P., Doesburg, H.M., Gould, R.O., van der Hark, E.M., Prick, P.A.J., Noordick, J.H., Buerskend, G., Parthasarathi, V., Bruins-Slot, H.J., Haltiwanger, R.C., Strumpel, M.K., Smits, J.M.M., Garcia-Granda, S., Smykalla, C, Behm, H.J.J., Schäfer, G. and Admiraal, G. (1990) The DIRDIF90 program system. University of Nijmegen. In press.Google Scholar
- Fan Hai-fu, Qian Jin-zi, Zheng Chao-de, Gu Yuan-xin Ke Heng Min and Huang Sheng-hua (1990) Acta Cryst. A46, In press.Google Scholar
- Gilmore, C.J. and Hauptman, H.A. (1985) A41, 457–462.Google Scholar
- Hauptman, H.A. Crystal Structure Analysis: The Role of the Cosine Seminvariants Plenum Press (1972) .Google Scholar
- Main, P. in Crystal1ographic Computing Techniques Ed. F.R. Ahmed, Munskgaard (1976) 97–105.Google Scholar
- Sheldrick, G.M., (1990) Acta Crvst. A46, In press.Google Scholar
- Viscovic, V. and Viterbo, D. Acta Crvst. (1979) A35, 500–501.Google Scholar