The Larch Casebearer in the Intermountain Northwest
The larch casebearer, Coleophora laricella Hubner (Lepidoptera: Coleophoridae), is a small silver-gray moth whose larvae mine needles of larches, Larix spp. Apparently of European origin, this defoliator was first recorded in North America near Northampton, Massachussetts, in 1886.3 It had spread westward to Minneapolis by 195012 and, in the spring of 1957, was collected just south of St. Manes, Idaho. A survey of larch forests in the intermountain region that year indicated that about 44,000 ha (170 sq mi) were infested.1 The population spread rapidly and uniformly until, in 1970, it occupied virtually all larch stands in the intermountain regions of eastern Washington, Oregon, and northern Idaho (Fig. 1).
KeywordsBasal Area Increment Larch Forest Larch Tree Basal Area Growth Western Larch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Denton, R. E., and Tunnock, S., 1972, Larch casebearer in western larch forests, USDA For. Serv. Leafl., 8 pp., Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 2.Fumiss, R. L., and Carolin, V. M., 1977, Western Forest Insects, USDA For. Serv. Misc. Publ. No. 1339.Google Scholar
- 3.Hagen, H. A., 1886, Coleophora laricella Hb, very injurious to Larix europea in Massachusetts, Can. Entomol. 18: 125–126.Google Scholar
- 4.Ismail, A., and Long, G. E., 1982, Interactions among parasites of the larch casebearer in northern Idaho, Environ. Entomol. 11: 1242–1247.Google Scholar
- 5.Long, G. E., 1977, Spatial dispersion in a biological control model for larch casebearer, Environ. Entomol. 6: 843–852.Google Scholar
- 6.Nathanson, R. A., 1983, Observations on the influence of site characteristics on parasites of larch case-bearer, M. S. thesis, Department of Forest Resources, University of Idaho.Google Scholar
- 9.Schmidt, W. C., Shearer, R. C., and Roe, A. L., 1976, Ecology and silivculture of waste larch forests, USDA For. Serv. Tech. Bull. 1520, 96 pp.Google Scholar
- 10.Tunnock, S., Denton, R. E., Carlson, C. E., and Janssen, W. W., 1969, Larch casebearer and other factors involved with deterioration of western larch stands in northern Idaho, USDA For. Serv. Res. Pap. INT-68, 10 pp, Ogden, Utah.Google Scholar
- 11.Voute, A. D., 1952, Aantasting van Douglas door de larikswot, Ned. Boschboum Tijdschr 24: 244.Google Scholar
- 12.Webb, F. E., 1953, An ecological study of the larch casebearer, Coleophora laricella, Ph.D. thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 210 pp.Google Scholar