Carbonic Anhydrases Secreted in the Saliva
Secreted carbonic anhydrases (CAs) are synthesized in the salivary glands and secreted into saliva. Although it has been known for some time that saliva contains CA activity,17 it was not realized that the enzyme present might be very different from the other isozymes. In 1979, we reported that the CA of sheep saliva and about 40% of the enzyme in parotid gland homogenate was a high-molecular-mass protein.6 In comparison, the cytoplasmic isozymes are relatively small proteins with a molecular mass of 30,000. The salivary enzyme was also less sensitive to sulfonamide inhibition than the high-activity CA H isozyme and did not cross-react with antibodies raised against sheep CA H. This initial study suggested that this enzyme was a distinct CA isozyme and not just a complex of CA II with some other protein. The isozyme has now been classified as CA VI.8,15 This chapter reviews the purification, properties, distribution, and possible role of these secreted CAs.
KeywordsSalivary Gland Acinar Cell Parotid Gland Parotid Saliva Somatic Cell Hybrid Panel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aldred, P., Fu, P., Barrett, G., Penschow, J. D., Wright, R. D., Coghlan, J. P., and Fernley, R. T., Biochemistry,in press.Google Scholar
- 4.Dobson, D. E., Prager, E. M., and Wilson, A. C., 1982, J. Biol. Chem. 259: 11607–11616.Google Scholar
- 8.Fernley, R. T, Coghlan, J. P., and Wright, R. D., 1988, Biochem. J. 249: 210–207.Google Scholar
- 11.Hori, H., Yoshino, Y., Ishizuka, Y., Yamauchi, T, and Murakami, K., 1988, FEBS Len. 232: 39 1394.Google Scholar
- 13.Mason, D. K., and Chisholm, D. M., 1975, Salivary Glands in Health and Disease, W. B. Saunders, London.Google Scholar
- 14.Montgomery, J. C., Shows, T. B., Venta, P. J., and Tashain, R. E., 1987, Am. J. Hum. Genet. 41: A229.Google Scholar
- 18.Sutherland, G. R., Baker, E., Fernandez, K. E. W, Callen, D. F., Aldred, P, Coghlan, J. P, Wright, R. D., and Fernley, R. T., Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 50: 149–150.Google Scholar
- 20.Venta, P. J., Montgomery, J. C., and Tashian, R. E., 1987, Curr. Top. Biol. Med. Res. 14: 59–72.Google Scholar