Opioid-Sensitive Peripheral Neuronal Activity in the Modulation of Gastric Mucosal Injury
There is growing evidence that capsaicin-sensitive afferent neurones participate in the protective mechanisms of the gastric mucosa against damage. Animals pretreated systemically with capsaicin, at doses that lead to the ablation of capsaicin-sensitive afferent neurons, show an increase in the level of macro-scopically apparent mucosal damage in different experimental models of ulceration (Szolcsányi and Barthó, 1981; Holzer and Sametz, 1986). Furthermore, acute stimulation with capsaicin of afferent nerve endings located in the gastric mucosa protects against different ulcerogenic mechanisms (Szolcsányi and Barthó, 1981; Holzer and Lippe, 1988; Holzer et al., 1989).
KeywordsGastric Mucosa Mucosal Damage Gastric Damage Gastric Mucosal Injury Gastric Mucosal Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Esplugues, J.V., and Whittle, B.J.R., 1989a, Gastric effects of Paf, Meth. Find. Exp. Clin. Pharmacol., 11(Suppl.1): 61.Google Scholar
- Esplugues, J.V., and Whittle, B.J.R., 1989b, Mechanisms contributing to gastric motility changes induced by PAF-acether and endotoxin in rats, Am. J. Physiol., 256:G275.Google Scholar
- Holzer, P., and Sametz, W., 1986, Gastric mucosal protection against ulcerogenic factors in the rat mediated by capsaicin-sensitive afferent neurons, Gastroenterology, 91:97.Google Scholar
- Konishi, S., Tsunoo, A., Yanaihara, N., and Otsuka, M., 1980, Peptidergic excitatory and inhibitory synapses in mammalian sympathetic ganglia: roles of substance P and enkephalin, Biomed. Res., 1:528.Google Scholar
- Pique, J.M., Esplugues, J.V., and Whittle, B.J.R., 1990, Influence of morphine or capsaicin pretreatment on rat gastric microcirculatory response to PAF, Am. J. Physiol., in press.Google Scholar
- Szolcsányi, J., and Barthó, L., 1981, Impaired defense mechanisms to peptic ulcer in the capsaicin-desensitized rat, in: “Gastrointestinal Defense Mechanisms”, Gy. Mozsik, O. Hanninen, and T. Javor, eds., Pergamon Press and Akademiai Kiado, Oxford and Budapest.Google Scholar
- Whittle, B.J.R., Morishita, T., Ohya, Y., Leung, F.W., and Guth, P.H., 1986, Microvascular actions of platelet-activating factor on rat gastric mucosa and submucosa, Am. J. Physiol., 251:G77.Google Scholar