Distance Transformation and Skeleton for Shape Feature Analysis
The distance transformation (DT) is one of the basic algorithm in image analysis and recognition. It is especially useful for shape feature description and analysis. The DT originated as a tool to determine the skeleton of a figure in the continuous space and was extended to a digitized picture later. Numerous researches following to those in the early stages revealed that the DT is both practically useful and of much interest theoretically in many different aspects of image processing.
KeywordsMinimal Path Background Pixel Label Propagation Digitize Picture Distance Transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Arcelli84]C. Arcelli and G. Sanniti di Baja: “An approach to figure decomposition using width information”, CVGIP, 26, 1, pp.61–72 (1984).Google Scholar
- [Okada90]M. Okada, S. Yokoi, and J. Toriwaki: “An approach to digital figure decomposition based on distance feature”, Proc. of PRICAI’90 (Pacific Rim International Conf. on Artificial Intelligence), Nagoya, Japan pp.540-545 (1990).Google Scholar
- [Rosenfeld82]A. Rosenfeld and A.C. Kak: Digital Picture Processing, Academic Press, N.Y., 1982.Google Scholar
- [Saito91]T. Saito, J. Toriwaki and S. Yokoi: “Properties of extended digital alpha-hull with applications to shape feature analysis of a figure set”, Forma, (1991) (In printing).Google Scholar
- [Shikano74]K. Shikano, J. Toriwaki and T. Fukumura: “Properties of wave propagation method for conversion of gray pictures into line figures”, Information Processing in Japan, 14, pp.1-6 (1974).Google Scholar
- [Toriwaki81]J. Toriwaki and S. Yokoi: “Distance transformations and skeletons of digitized pictures with applications”, in A. Rosenfeld and L. Kanak eds.): Progress in Pattern Recognition, Vol. 1, pp.187–264, North Holland, Amsterdam, N.Y., 1981.Google Scholar
- [Toriwaki88]J. Toriwaki: Digital Image Processing for Image Understanding Vol. I, II, Shokodo, Tokyo, Japan, 1988 (In Japanese).Google Scholar
- [Yasuda91]T. Yasuda, X. Zhou, S. Yokoi, J. Toriwaki and R. Izumida: “Computer-aided surgical simulation system for hip joint plastic surgery”, Proc. BIOMED’91, Sep. 1991 (In printing).Google Scholar