Extraction and Representation of Shape Features for CAD/CAM Applications
We consider the two issues of recognizing and representing shape features in the context of a CAD/CAM application. A definition of shape feature is introduced and a classification is attempted. The major approaches to automatic recognition of shape features are classified, and some representative methods are described. Finally, the problem of shape feature description is discussed, and modular boundary models are proposed as an effective support for feature-based object description.
KeywordsShape Feature Boundary Representation Boundary Model Graph Match Solid Object
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DeF89a]De Floriani, L., “Feature extraction from boundary models of three-dimensional objects”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 11, 8 (August 1989), 785–798.Google Scholar
- [DeF89b]De Floriani, L., Bruzzone, E., “Building a feature-based object description from a boundary model”, Computer Aided Design, December 1989.Google Scholar
- [DeF90]De Floriani, L., Maulik, A., Nagy, G., “Representation of Solid Objects by a Modular Boundary Model”, Computer-Aided Mechanincal Assembly Planning, Homem de Mello, Lee, Eds., Plenum Press, 1991 (to appear).Google Scholar
- [Gra75]Grayer, A.R., “A Computer Link Between Design and Manufacture”, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England, 1975.Google Scholar
- [Hen84]Henderson, M.R., “Extraction of feature information from three-dimensional CAD data”, PhD Thesis, Purdue University, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Jar84]Jared, G.E., “Shape features in geometric modeling”, Solid Modeling by Computers: from Theory to Applications, Plenum, New York, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Kyp80]Kyprianou, L.K., “Shape Classification in Computer-Aided-Design”, Ph.D. dissertation, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Cambirdge, England, 1980.Google Scholar
- [Pra85]Pratt, M., Wilson, P.R., “Requirements for support of form features in a solid modelling system”, Technical Report, Geometric Modelling Project, CAM-I, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Pra90]Pratt, M., “Solid Modelling — Survey and Current Research Issues”, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Sak90]Sakurai, H., Gossard, D.C., “Recognizing shape features in solid models”, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Sept 1990, 22-32.Google Scholar
- [Woo82]Woo, T.C., “Feature extraction by volume decomposition”, Proceedings Conference on CAD/CAM in Mechanical Engineering, MIT, Cambridge, MA, March 1982.Google Scholar