Characterization of Interphasial Properties in Adhesive Joints Using Angle-Beam Reflection Ultrasonic Spectroscopy
Mechanical properties of adhesive joints depend on: (1) the bulk (cohesive) properties of the adhesive such as type of adhesive, degree of cure, porosity, et cetera and (2) the interphasial properties of the bond between the adhesive and the adherends. While several techniques have been developed for nondestructive evaluation of cohesive properties of the adhesive, the assessment of interphase properties is more complicated. It has previously been proposed  that an ultrasonic wave that produces shear stress on the interphase is sensitive to interphase properties. This may be achieved by utilization of interface waves [1, 2] or guided waves in the bonded plates [3, 4, 5]. Another possibility is the use of obliquely incident ultrasonic waves for interphase evaluation, analyzing signals in the time or frequency domains [6, 7, 8].
KeywordsIncident Angle Bulk Modulus Polymer Film Ultrasonic Wave Adhesive Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G. A. Alers and R. B. Thompson, 1976 Ultrasonic Symposium Proceedings, IEEE, 138-142 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.S. I. Rokhlin, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds., Vol. 5B, Plenum Press, N. Y., 1301–1308 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.C. M. Teller, K. J. Diercks, Y. Bar-Cohen and N. N. Shah, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds., Vol. 7B, Plenum, N. Y., 935–942 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.P. B. Nagy and L. Adler, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds. Vol. 8B, Plenum Press, N. Y., 1417–1424 (1989).Google Scholar
- 10.S. I. Rokhlin, W. Wang, Y. J. Wang and J. L. Hammill, Proceedings of the 1989 ASNT Fall Conference, NDE of Adhesive Bonds and Bondlines Track, Oct. 9-13, 1989, Valley Forge, PA, 41-50 (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.S. I. Rokhlin, W. Wang and Y. J. Wang, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, eds. Vol. 9B, Plenum Press, N. Y., 1231–1238 (1990).Google Scholar
- 12.F. I. Solyanik, Sov. Phys. Acoust., 23, 533–536 (1977).Google Scholar