Measurements of Attenuation and Dispersion in Multi-Phase Materials Using Ultrasonic Point-Source/Point-Receiver Technique
The attenuation and dispersion of stress waves in multi-phase materials such as granite, paste, mortar and concrete were evaluated by the point-source/point-receiver technique. Glass capillary breaking and a calibrated pin-type transducer were employed as a point source and point receiver, respectively. The frequency dependence of the attenuation and dispersion in the multi-phase materials was obtained by a single measurement and Fourier analysis. Mortar and paste were found to be less attenuative and dispersive than granite and concrete.
KeywordsAcoustic Emission Elastic Wave Stress Wave Laser Interferometer Wave Arrival
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ball impact test for normal concrete, DIN 4240, No.6, 311-319 (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.Test for penetration resistance of hardened concrete, ASTM C 803-75T.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Tremper, The measurement of concrete strength by embedded pull-out bars, Proceedings, ASTM, 44:880 (1944).Google Scholar
- 5.Measurement of the velocity of ultrasonic pulses in concrete, BS4408.Google Scholar
- 6.Standard method of test for fundamental transverse, longitudinal and torsional frequencies of concrete specimens, ASTM C 215-60.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Koo, S. Lee, Y. Kim and H. S. Lew, Quantitative spectral analysis of the flaw detection in concrete, “Proceedings of 12th world conference on NDT”, 1250, Amsterdam (1989).Google Scholar
- 10.N. N. Hsu, Dynamic Green’s function of an infinite plate — a computer program, Report NBS IR85-3234, National Bureau of Standards (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.Y. H. Pao and W. Sachse, On the determination of phase and group velocities of dispersive waves in solids, J. Appl. Phys., 48:4320 (1978).Google Scholar
- 12.Y. H. Kim, D. H. Lee and O. Y. Kwon, Absolute measurements of dynamic micro-displacements by laser interferometry(in Korean), Kor. Appl. Phys., 3:461 (1990).Google Scholar
- 13.Y. H. Kim, D. J. Yoon, S. Lee and H. C. Kim, Characterization of acoustic emission sensors using transient stress waves(in Korean), Kor. Appl. Phys., 3:374 (1990).Google Scholar