The following clinical vignettes (Pilowsky, 1978) illustrate the range of behavioral response to illness that is possible.
KeywordsChest Pain Coping Skill Chronic Pain Patient Automatic Thought Physical Disorder
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1980). Committee on nomenclature and statistics. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.Google Scholar
- Colligan, M. J., Pennebaker, J. W., & Murphy, L. (Eds.). (1982). Mass psychogenic illness: A social psychological analysis. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Ellis, A. (1977). The basic clinical theory of rational-emotive therapy. In A. Ellis & R. Grieger (Eds.), Handbook of rational-emotive therapy. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Levenkron, J. C, Goldstein, M. G., Adamides, D., & Greenland, P. (in press). Chronic chest pain with normal coronary arteries: A behavioral approach to rehabilitation. Journal of Cardiac Rehabilitation. Google Scholar
- Lewinsohn, P. M., Sullivan, J. M., & Grosscup, S. J. (1982). Behavioral therapy: Clinical applications. In A. J. Rush (Ed.), Short-term psychotherapies for depression. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Mechanic, D. (1978a). Medical Sociology (2nd ed.). New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Meichenbaum, D., & Turk, D. C. (1976). The cognitive-behavioral management of anxiety, anger, and pain. In P. O. Davidson (Ed.), The behavioral management of anxiety, depres sion and pain. New York: Brunner/Mazel.Google Scholar
- Melzack, R., & Wall, P. D. (1982). The challenge of pain. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Nemiah, J. C. (1980). Somatization disorder. In H. I. Kaplan, A. M. Freedman, & B. J. Sadock (Eds.), Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry (Vol. 2, 3rd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Parsons, T. (1964). Social structure and personality. London: Collier-Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Young, J. E., & Beck, A. T. (1982). Cognitive therapy: Clinical applications. In A. J. Rush (Ed.), Short-term psychotherapies for depression. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1986