Effect of Phosphatidylserine on Cortical Acetylcholine Release and Calcium Uptake in Adult and Aging Rats
The effect of phosphatidylserine (PtdSer) administration (15 mg/kg i. p.) for 30 days was investigated on acetylcholine (ACh) release from electrically stimulated cortical slices and on 45Ca2+ uptake into K+-depolarized cortical synaptosomes in 3 and 22–24 month old rats. ACh release in 24 month old rats treated with the solvent was 50% lower than in 3 month old rats at all stimulation frequencies tested. On the contrary, no significant decrease in ACh release was found in the 24 month old rats treated with PtdSer. Similarly, the decrease in 45Ca2+ uptake found in the 22 month old rats treated with the solvent did not occur in the aging rats chronically treated with PtdSer. The possibility is envisaged that PtdSer may act by influencing age-dependent changes in membrane phospholipid composition.
KeywordsHistamine Release Stimulation Frequency Krebs Solution Cortical Slice Morphine Sulphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruni A, Toffano G (1985) Influence of serine phospholipids on biogenic amine secretion in vivo and in vitro. In: Horrocks LA (ed): Phospholipids in the nervous system. Vol 2: Physiological roles. Raven Press, New York, pp. 21–29.Google Scholar
- Goth A, Adams HR, Knoohuizen M (1971) Effect of calcium on dextran-induced histamine release from isolated mast cells. Br J Pharmac 46: 767–769.Google Scholar
- Hershkowitz M (1983) Mechanisms of brain-the role of membrane fluidity. In: Gispen WH, Traber J (eds): Aging of the brain. Elsevier, Amsterdam; pp. 101–114.Google Scholar
- Mantovani P, Aporti F, Bonetti AC, Pepeu G (1982) Effects of phosphatidylserine on brain cholinergic mechanisms. In: Horrocks LA, Ansell GB, Porcellati G (eds): Phospholipids in the nervous system. Vol. 1: Metabolism. Raven Press, New York; pp. 165–172.Google Scholar
- Pepeu G, Gori G, Bartolini L (1980) Pharmacologic and therapeutic perspectives on dementia: an experimental approach. In: Amaducci L, Davison AN, Antuono P (eds): Aging of the brain and dementia. Raven Press, New York; pp. 271–274.Google Scholar
- Toffano G, Battistella A, Mazzari S, Orlando P, Massari P, Giordano C (1982) Fate of phosphatidyl-L-(U-14C)-serine in mice. In: Horrocks LA, Ansell GB, Porcellati G (eds): Metabolism. Raven Press, New York; pp. 173–180.Google Scholar