Cation Transport during the Cell Cycle of Neuroblastoma Cells
The plasma membrane of mammalian cells is considered as having a major role in the regulation of cell growth. Acting as a barrier between the extra- and intracellular environment, the plasma membrane determines the compositional differences between them by selective permeability and by specific membrane-bound transport systems for ions and nutrients. In addition, the plasma membrane as the first cell organelle interacting with external factors, functions as the transducer of all extracellular signals which may affect the cellular status. Modulation of its compositional and structural properties might in turn be involved in the ability to perform this function.
KeywordsCell Cycle Neuroblastoma Cell Cell Cycle Phase Cation Transport Pump Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. W. de Laat, J. Boonstra, W. H. Moolenaar, C. L. Mummery, P. T. van der Saag, and E. J. J. van Zoelen, Cation transport and growth control in neuroblastoma cells in culture, in: “Membranes in Growth and Development,” G. Giebisch and J. Hofman, eds., Alan R. Liss Inc., New York 211–236 (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.J.Boonstra, C. L. Mummery, L. G. J. Tertoolen, P. T. van der Saag and S. W. de Laat, Cation transport and growth regulation in neuroblastoma cells. Modulations of K transport and electrical membrane properties during the cell cycle, J. Cell. Physiol., 107: 75–83 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.J. G. Bluemink and S. W. de Laat, Plasma membrane assembly as related to cell division, in: “The synthesis, assembly and turnover of cell surface components,” G. Poste and G. L. Nicolson, eds., Elsevier North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam, pp. 403–461 (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.S. W. de Laat, L. G. J. Tertoolen, P. T. van der Saag and J. G. Bluemink, Quantitative analysis of modulation in numerical and lateral distribution of intramembrane particles during the cell cycle of neuroblastoma cells, J. Cell. Biol. In press, (1982).Google Scholar
- 15.J. Boonstra, P. T. van der Saag, W. H. Moolenaar and S.+W.+de Laat, Rapid effects of nerve growth factor on the Na,K -numn in rat pheochromocytoma cells, Exp.Cell Res. 131: 452–455 (1981)Google Scholar
- 21.E. J. J. van Zoelen, C. L. Mummery, J. Boonstra, P. T. van der Saag and S. W. de Laat, Membrane regulation of the Na,KSATPase during the neuroblastoma cell cycle. Correlation with protein lateral mobility, submittedGoogle Scholar