Severe Psychiatric Disorder in Dialysis—Transplant Patients
Chronic hemodialysis and renal transplantation have become increasingly common modes of treatment for end-stage renal disease (ESRD). This increase has led to many reports about the psychological impact of these highly stressful treatment modalities. Abram and Buchanan1 reviewed seven studies of transplantation patients, and found a wide range and a varying incidence of psychiatric syndromes. Penn and co-workers2 reported that 32% of their 292 renal transplant patients had “significant psychopathology.” Anxiety, depression, and delirium were the more common diagnoses in their population, of whom seven attempted suicide (2.3%). In a more recent study, Blazer et al.3 found a 4.2% incidence of affective psychoses in 215 transplant patients, but did not report on any other psychiatric syndromes.
KeywordsPsychiatric Hospitalization Psychiatric Unit Psychiatric Admission Chronic Pyelonephritis Psychiatric Syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Penn, I., Bunch, D., Olenik, D., and Abouna, G. Psychiatric experience with patients receiving renal and hepatic transplant. In P. Castelnuovo-Tedesco (Ed.), Psychiatric aspects of organ transplantation. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Blazer, D. G., Petrie, W. M., and Wilson, W. P. Affective psychoses following renal transplant. Disorders of the Nervous System 1976, 37, 663–667.Google Scholar
- 6.McKegney, F. P. The patient’s role in beginning and continuing maintenance hemodialysis. Proceedings of the 5th International Congress on Nephrology (Mexico, 1972), Vol. 3, Karger-Basel: 1974, 220–225.Google Scholar
- 8.Rotter, J. B. Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement. Psychology Monographs, 1966, 80, 1–28.Google Scholar
- 9.Brodman, K., Erdman, S. J., and Wolff, H. G. The Cornell medical index health questionnaire, Manual. New York: Cornell University Medical College, 1956.Google Scholar
- 11.Editorial: dialysis dementia. British Medical Journal, 6046, 1976, 1213-1214.Google Scholar