Bacteriophage Lambda and Plasmid lacZ Transgenic Mice for Studying Mutations in Vivo
The demonstration that genomic DNA fragments, including integrated vectors, can be efficiently rescued and cloned only into host-restriction negative bacterial strains, allowed the practical use of transgenic mice equipped with bacterial reporter genes for mutation analysis studies (Gossen and Vijg, 1988; Gossen et al., 1989). This was later confirmed by Kohler et al. (1990). Since then numerous studies with lacZ and/or lacI transgenic mice have demonstrated the power of these model systems to detect spontaneous and induced mutations (Kohler et al., 1991; Myhr, 1991; Suzuki et al., 1993; Gossen and Vijg, 1993; Tinwell et al., 1994; Douglas et al., 1994, 1995a,b).
KeywordsTransgenic Mouse Seminiferous Tubule lacZ Gene Bacteriophage Lambda Selective Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Douglas, G. R., Jiao, J., Gingerich, J. D., Gossen, J. A., and Soper, L. M. (1995b). Temporal and molecular characteristics of mutations induced by ethylnitrosamine in germ cells isolated from seminiferous tubules and in spermatozoa of lacZ transgenic mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:7485–7489.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gossen, J. A., de Leeuw, W. J. F., Tan, C. H., Zwarthoff, E. C., Berends, F, Lohman, P. H. M., Knook, D. L., and Vijg, J. (1989). Efficient rescue of integrated shuttle vectors from transgenic mice: A model for studying mutations in vivo. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:7971–7975.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Health Protection Branch Geotoxicity Committee (1992). The assessment of mutagenicity: Health protection branch mutagenicity guidelines. Environ. Mol. Mutagen. 21:15–37.Google Scholar
- Johnson, M. G. (1995). Increased efficiency of rescue of a lambda shuttle vector from transgenic mouse DNA using MaxPlax™ packaging extract. J. NIH Res. 7:84.Google Scholar
- Köhler, S. W., Provost, G. S., Kretz, P. L., Dycaico, M. J., Sorge, J. A., and Short, J. M. (1990). Development of a short-term, in vivo mutagenesis assay: The effects of methylation on the recovery of a lambda phage shuttle vector from transgenic mice. Nucleic Acids Res. 18:3007–3013.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Newton, W. A., Beckwith, J. R., Zipser, D., and Brenner, S. (1965). Nonsense mutants and polarity in the Lac operon of Escherichia coli. J. Mol. Biol. 14:290-295.Google Scholar
- Vijg, J., and Gossen, J. A. (1993). Somatic mutations and cellular aging. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 104B3:429–437.Google Scholar