Towards a Proposal to Study the Policy Making Process at the Basic Educational Level in Colombia
Statistics, indicators and opinions suggest serious and diverse problems of the Basic Educational System (BES) in Colombia. What are exactly the problems, what are their causes and what are their solutions are very difficult and debated questions. Some of the problems that have been mentioned (See Duarte, 1996 and Misión de Ciencia, Educación y Desarrollo, 1994) are the following: policies are not the result of a holistic study of the BES; so they are focused only on particular aspects of the system; policies are defined without a consistent information system to support them; there is not any continuity in policies; the administration of public education is very politicized; the quality of education is very poor, etc. Many of the problems are related to a great extent to formulation, implementation or evaluation of policies, that is to say, to the Policy Making Process (PMP).
KeywordsPrimary School Education Policy Primary School Teacher Policy Make Process Organisational Legitimacy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ball, S. J., 1990, Politics and Policy Making in Education. Explorations in Policy Sociology, 1st ed.: Routledge, London & New York.Google Scholar
- CONPES, 1994, El Salto Educativo: Documenta CONPES 2738 — MEN-DNP:UDS. Colombia.Google Scholar
- Duarte, J., 1996, La debilidad del Ministerio de Educación y la Politización de la educación en Colombia: dos problemas a enfrentar en el Plan Decenal, Coyuntura Social, 14: 145–167.Google Scholar
- Lindblom, C., and Woodhouse, E., 1993, The Policy-Making Process, 3rd ed.: Prentice Hall, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Ministerio de Educación Nacional, 1982, Estadisticas Educativas (1970–1982), MEN, Colombia.Google Scholar
- Ministerio de Educación Nacional, 1995, Unpublished report of MEN — Colombia.Google Scholar
- Misión de Ciencia; Educación, 1994, Informe Conjunto: Misión de Ciencia, Educación y Desarrollo, Colombia.Google Scholar
- Woodward, D., Edwards, P., and Birkin, F., 1996, Some evidence on executive’ views of corporate social responsability and its reporting, Paper presented in the British Academy of Management — Annual Conference 1996.Google Scholar