Elementary Processes of Surface Diffusion Studied by Quasielastic Helium Atom Scattering
The theory relating quasielastic helium atom scattering to surface diffusional dynamics is briefly reviewed. The experimental errors in the determination of the quasielastic broadening from experimental data are discussed and new results on the self-diffusion of nickel on Ni(110) are presented. The quasielastic data indicate that for temperatures between 800K and 1200K the nickel atoms diffuse by jumping between lattice sites. The activation barrier and pre-exponential factor are in good agreement with mass-transport experiments.
KeywordsPeak Width Activation Barrier Helium Atom Full Width Half Maximum Instrument Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T. Springer, Springer Tracts in Modem Physics 64, Springer Berlin (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Bèe, Quasielasiic Neutron Scattering published by Adam Hilgar, Bristol 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.A.P. Graham, F. Hofmann, J.P. Toennies, and J. Ellis, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 10.A.P. Graham, F. Hofmann, J.P. Toennies, L.Y. Chen, and S.C. Ying, submitted to Science..Google Scholar
- 12.A.P. Graham, F. Hofmann, and J.P. Toennies, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 17.A.P. Graham, F. Hofmann, J.P. Toennies, L.Y. Chen, and S.C. Ying, to be submitted to Phys. Rev. B..Google Scholar
- 18.M. Bertino, A.P. Graham, W. Silvestri, and J.P. Toennies, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 19.E. Hulpke and D. Fuhrmann, to be submitted to Surf. Sci..Google Scholar
- 21.F. Hofmann, W. Schöllkopf, and J.P. Toennies, Proceedings of the R.A. Welch Foundation, 38th Conference on Chemical Research, Chemical Dynamics of Transient Species Houston, Texas 1994; F. Hofmann Ph.D. Thesis, Göttingen University, Germany 1995.Google Scholar
- 22.M. Bertino, F. Hofmann, and J.P. Toennies, accepted for publication in J. Chem. Phys. (1996).Google Scholar
- 23.D. Fuhrmann and Ch. Wöll, submitted to Surf. Sci..Google Scholar
- 28.Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 57th Edition, R.C. Weast ed., CRC Press, Cleveland Ohio 1977.Google Scholar