Epitaxial Growth of MG on PD(100) and AG(100): Growth Modes for Complete and Incomplete Adlayer Condensation
The epitaxial growth of Mg adlayers deposited on Pd(100) and Ag(100) has been studied by Spot Profile Analysing Low Energy Electron Diffraction (SPA-LEED). Above room temperature Mg grows with c(2×2) structure on both substrates in the submonolayer range. Attenuated intensity oscillations of the (00) beam observed for this temperature range demonstrate that the Mg film grows in the multi layer growth mode at low temperature. For Pd(100) oscillations have been found up to 450K. On the other hand measuring simultaneously the specular (00) and the (1/21/2) spot shows that the growth mode changes for Mg/Ag(100) with increasing temperature. For intermediate temperatures Mg forms 3D islands on top of a pseudomorphic layer while Mg desorbs even from the pseudomorphic layer for high temperature deposition. Therefore, we observe an equilibrium between adsorption and desorption of Mg atoms under growth conditions.
KeywordsIntensity Oscillation High Deposition Temperature Fourfold Symmetry Multilayer Growth Spot Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.M. Zehner and D.W. Goodman, Eds., Physical and Chemical Properties of Thin Metal Over-layers and Alloy Surfaces, Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.H.P. Bonzel, A.M. Bradshaw, and G. Ertl, Eds., Physics and Chemistry of Alkali Metal Adsorption, Materials Science Monographs 57, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Henzler, H. Busch, and G. Friese, in: Kinetics of Ordering and Growth at Surfaces, M.G. Lagally, ed., Plenum, New York (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Wollschläger and A. Meier, Appl. Surf. Sci., in press.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Wollschläger, Surf. Sci., submitted.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Michailov, D. Erdös, K.M. Schröder, and J. Wollschläger, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 15.C. Tegenkamp, K.M. Schröder, and H. Pfnür, in preparation.Google Scholar