Fabrication of Two-Dimensional Crystalline Arrays of Protein Molecules
Life in the universe as we know it is based upon systems of cells: from single-cell bacteria to trillions of complexly interacting cells -an organism. It is sometimes instructive to consider these cellular units as being “factories” containing various molecular machines consuming energy and material while carrying out complex processes and manufacturing new materials (Alberts et al., 1994). Interestingly, many of the components of cells -amino acids to proteins to protein complexes (supramolecules) to cellular organelle -are formed by self-assembly under the instructions of DNA. These cells also produce all of the proteins and supramolecules necessary to form tissue and ultimately organisms that are a million-times larger than the original simple protein.
KeywordsProtein Molecule Protein Array Array Formation Liquid Thin Layer Mercury Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alberts, B., et al., 1994, Molecular Biology of the Cell, 3rd Ed., Garland, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Blake, T. D., 1984, in Surfactants (Ed. T. F. Tadros ), Academic Press, London., 221.Google Scholar
- Derjaguin, B. V., 1989, Theory of Stability of Colloids and Thin Films (translated by R. K. Johnson), Chapter 4, Consultants Bureau, New York.Google Scholar
- Dimitrov, A. S., Dushkin, C. D., Ivanov, I. B., Yoshimura, H., and Nagayama, K., 1994, Langmuir 10:432–440. Dürr, R., 1991, Ultramicroscopy 38: 135.Google Scholar
- Dushkin, C. D., Nagayama, K., Miwa, T., and Kralchevsky, P. A., 1993, Langmuir 9:3695–3701. Dushkin, C. D., Yoshimura, H., and Nagayama, K., 1993, Chem. Phys. Lett. 204: 455–460.Google Scholar
- Jap, B. K., Zulauf, M., Scheybani, T., Hefti, A., Baumeister, W., Aebi, U., and Engel, A., 1992, Ultramicroscopy46:45–84.Google Scholar
- Maslen, W. M., Fox, A. G., and O’Keefe, M. A., 1992, Internatonal Tables for Crystallography, Volume C (Wilson ed.) 476–511, Kluwer Academic, Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Michel, H., 1991, Crystallization of Membrane Proteins, CRC Press, Boston.Google Scholar
- Nagayama, K., Takeda, S., Endo, S., and Yoshimura, H., 1995, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.,in press.Google Scholar
- Paunov, V. N., Kralchevsky, P. A., Denkov, N. D., Ivanov, I. B., and Nagayama, K., 1992, Colloids Interface 67: 119–138.Google Scholar
- Takeda, S., Yoshimura, H., Endo, S., Takahashi, T., and Nagayama, K., J. Mol. Biol. submitted. Yamaki, M., Matsubara, K., and Nagayama, K., 1993, Langmuir 9: 3154–3158.Google Scholar
- Yoshimura, H., Endo, S., Nagayama, K., and Matsumoto, M., 1991, JEOL News 29E: 2–5.Google Scholar