Handoff and Location Management in Mobile ATM Networks
This paper discusses aspects of network-layer support required for extending ATM connectivity to mobile terminals. An architecture for incorporating mobile terminals within a ATM network has been presented in [4, 5, 6, 9, 10]. Analogous to the protocols needed to support terminal mobility in (connectionless) IP networks, viz. Mobile-IP , protocols are needed to support mobility in connection-oriented ATM networks. In contrast to IP, the connection-oriented nature of ATM requires location resolution prior to establishing a connection with a mobile terminal, and needs handoff protocols to support dynamic re-routing of active connections as terminals migrate from one radio port to another.
KeywordsMobile Terminal Location Management Active Connection Connection Setup Correspondent Host
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- IP Mobility Support. In Internet Draft from the IETF Mobile-IP Working Group. Work in Progress, 1996.Google Scholar
- A. Acampora and M. Nagashineh. An Architecture and Methodology for Mobile executed handoffs in Cellular ATM Networks. IEEE JSAC, 12 (8), 1994.Google Scholar
- B. Akyol and D. Cox. Handling Mobility in a Wireless ATM Network. Proc. of Infocom, 1996.Google Scholar
- D. Raychaudhuri et. al. Technical Scope Outline for Mobile ATM Specification Items. ATM Forum Contribution/96–0216/PLEN.Google Scholar
- D. Raychaudhuri et. al. Charter, Scope and Work Plan for Proposed Wireless ATM Working Group. ATM Forum Contribution/96–0530/PLEN, April 1996.Google Scholar
- D. Raychaudhuri et. al. WATMnet: A Prototype Wireless ATM System for Multimedia Personal Communication. Proc. of ICC, June 1996.Google Scholar
- L. Van Hauwermeiren et. al. Requirement for Mobility Support in ATM. Proc. of Globecom, 1994.Google Scholar
- P. Agrawal et. al. SWAN: A Mobile Multimedia Wireless network. IEEE Personal Communications, April 1996.Google Scholar
- D. Raychaudhuri. Wireless ATM: An Enabling Technology for Multimedia Personal Communication. In Mobile Multimedia Communication Workshop (MoMuC-2). Bristol, UK, April 1995.Google Scholar
- ]D. Raychaudhuri and N. Wilson. ATM Based Transport Architecture for Multiservices Wireless Personal Communication Network. IEEE JSAC, October 1994.Google Scholar
- ]C. K. Toh. Performance Evaluation of Crossover Switch Discovery for Wireless ATM LANs. Proc. of Infocom, 1996.Google Scholar
- ]R. Yuan, S. K. Biswas, and D. Raychaudhuri. A Signaling and Control Architecture for Mobility Support in Wireless ATM networks. Proc. of ICC, June 1996.Google Scholar