Advanced Spatial Light Modulator by Using Polymer Cell-Wall Type Liquid Crystal Light Shutter
So far, many studies have been reported to utilize liquid crystal light shutters for making Spatial Light Modulators (SLM)1. However, a few have intended to make the best use of the advantage of non-polarizer usage. One of the reason may be due to difficulty to obtain a qualified light shutter without the usage of polarizers. The abilities of Polvmer Cell-Wall Type Liquid Crystal (PCW-LC) light shutter which has been developed by us2–4 are considered to be suitable for such applications. This is a kind of liquid crystal + polymer complexes (LCPCs), utilizing the light scattering of cholesteric liquid crystals4. A distinctive feature of the PCW-LC light shutter is very small polymer content (around10%), as the cholesteric liquid crystals domains covered with thin polymer films, what makes the driving voltage to be very small (5V/10μ). Consequently, this type of light shutter can be useful not only for liquid crystal display devices but also for other various applications, especially for spatial light modulator. The advantage for this application is that it becomes easier to combine other components to construct a spatial light modulator because of the non-polarizer usage. In this work, more advanced application of PCW-LC light shutter to a spatial light modulator will be introduced.
KeywordsLiquid Crystal Spatial Light Modulator Driving Voltage Cholesteric Liquid Crystal Dielectric Mirror
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L.M. Blinov. Electro-optical and Magneto-optical Properties of Liquid Crystals, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1993).Google Scholar
- 2.P. Jiang, and T. Asada, Chemistry Express. 6:1005 (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Asada, and S. Tang, Chemistry Express. 8: 665 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.J.W. Doane, A. Galemme, J.L. West, J.B. Whitehand, JR, and B.G. Wu, Mol. Crys. Liq.Cryst. 165:511(1989).Google Scholar
- 7.MKunigita, Y. Hirai, Y. Ooi, S. Nirayama, T. Asakawa, K. Masumo, H. Kumai, M. Yuki, and T. Gunjima, Socfor Information Display Digest. (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.J.W. Doane, MRS Bulletin. 16:22 (1991).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Fujikake, K. Maruyama, T. Kuriyama, and H. Ogawa, Abstract Liq.Cryst.Meeting, Japan. 16:124(1990).Google Scholar