The Berth 52 Vessel (09CH691)
Hutchinson Island forms the northern bank of the main shipping channel of the Savannah River opposite the Georgia Port Authority terminal at Garden City. In actuality, this modern island is the result of the merging of King Island with Fig Island by the deposition of dredged spoil from the river. This junction apparently occurred after 1934 when the Frazer station was placed on the riverbank at a point some 100 m downstream from the site (Barney Putziger, personal communication, November 3, 1982).
KeywordsPropulsion System Army Corps Structural Evidence Port Side Negative Evidence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fleetwood, R., 1982, Tidecraft. Coastal Heritage Society: Savannah.Google Scholar
- Garrison, E.G., R.M. Holcombe, and L.L. Lowery, Jr., 1980, Archaeological and Engineering Study of the C.S.S. Georgia: Final Report. Report on file U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District, Savannah.Google Scholar
- Rahn, R.A., 1968, River Highway for Trade. The Savannah. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah. District.Google Scholar
- Smith, H.G., 1965, Boat Carpentry. Van Nostrand-Reinhold: New York.Google Scholar
- Williams, S. ed., 1977, The Waring Papers. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology 58. Cambridge, Mass.Google Scholar