Application of Multicriteria Analysis to Ranking and Evaluation of Water Development Projects
Water shortage in Jordan is becoming acute, with limited available water and financial resources. To balance current needs and demands, taking into account the possibility of limited investment in the future, the current Jordanian investment programme (1992–1998) contains various national objectives and constraints to be met. The requirement for this study arises from the need for a reliable system methodology to select and rank water development projects. Multicriteria analysis is a realistic approach to this complex problem, in particular, the PROMETHEE method is well adapted to it. Its flexibility enables the Decision-Maker to express his preferences more precisely. In this paper the problem is formulated, criteria are presented and quantified, and a partial and complete ranking of projects is obtained by applying the PROMETHEE method. The computational results are given taking into account the full range of different constraints, i.e., financial (initial cost, operation and maintenance) and regional development issues.
KeywordsDemand Management Fundamental Objective Nominal Group Technique Multicriteria Analysis Complete Ranking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-Kloub, B., 1994, “Optimisation and Ranking of Water Development Projects Utilising the Multicriteria Analysis (the Case of Jordan)”, Internal Report No/TAS/BK/15 School of Engineering, Staffordshire University, England.Google Scholar
- Brans, J.P., Vincke P., and Mareschal, B., 1986, “How to select and how to rank projects: the PROMETHEE method”, Eur Jrnl of OR, 24: 228–238.Google Scholar
- Delbecq, A., and Van de Ven, A., 1976, “Group Techniques for Program Planning, A Guide to Nominal Group and Delphi Process”, Scott Publisher, London.Google Scholar
- Goicoechea, A., Hansen, Don R., and Duckstein, L., 1982, “Multi-objective Decision Analysis with Engineering and Business Applications”, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Islei, G., and Lockett, G., “Modelling strategic decision making and performance measurement at ICCI Pharmaceuticals”, Interfaces, 6:4-22.Google Scholar
- Keeney, R., 1992, “Value Focused Thinking”, Harvard University Press, Harvard.Google Scholar
- Mladineo, N., Lozic L., Stosic, S., Mlinaric D., and Radica, T., 1992, An evaluation of multicriteria analysis for DSS in public policy decision, Eur Jrnl of OR, 61:219–229.Google Scholar
- Winpenny, J., 1994, “Managing Water as an Economic Resource”, Development Policy Studies (ODE), London.Google Scholar
- World Bank, 1993, “Comprehensive Water Resources Management”, ISBN 0-8213-2636-8, Washington DC.Google Scholar