Short Term Memory Function in a Model of the Olfactory System
In a computational model of the olfactory bulb and piriform cortex, we show how the self-organized representation of olfactory stimuli, in the form of activated subsets of pyramidal cells, spreads from rostral to caudal olfactory cortex with increasing stimulus familiarity. In this framework, we propose a mechanism for the performance of olfactory delayed match-to-sample function, based on short-term synaptic changes during stimulus presentation.
KeywordsOlfactory Bulb Pyramidal Cell Piriform Cortex Olfactory Stimulus Caudal Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barkai, E. Horwitz, G., Bergman, R.E. and Hasselmo, M.E. (1993) Long-term potentiation and associative memory function in a biophysical simulation of piriform cortex..Sio: NCH/Dsri. Ahsn: 19: 376. 3.Google Scholar
- Hasselmo, M.E. (1993). Acetycholine and learning in a cortical associative memory Neural Comp. 5: 32–44. Hasselmo, M. E. and Barkai, E. (1995) Cholinergie modulation of activity-dependent synaptic plasticity in rat piriform cortex. J..Veuro.sci. 15: 6592–6604.Google Scholar
- Holley, A. (1991) Neural coding of olfactory information. In Smell and Taste in Health and Disease, edited by T.V. Getchell et al. New York. Raven Press: 329–343.Google Scholar
- Li, Z. and Hopfield. J.J. (1989) Modeling the olfactory bulb and its neural oscillatory processings. Biot Ct’bern., 61: 379–392.Google Scholar
- Linster C., Hasselmo M.E. and Gervais R. (1995) Soc. o/,Neumscicnce Ahst.Google Scholar
- Linster, C. and Hasselmo, M. (1996) Modulation of inhibition in a model of olfactory bulb reduces overlap in the neural representation of olfactory stimuli, Beh. Brain. Res. (accepted for publication).Google Scholar
- Linster, C. and Gervais, R. (1996) Investigation of the role of interneurons and their modulation by centrifugal fibers in a neural model of the olfactory bulb. Journal of Computational Neuroscience. 3: 225–246..Google Scholar
- White, J., Hamilton, K.A., Neff, S.R. and Kauer, J.S. (1992) Emergent properties of odor information coding in a representational model of the salamander olfactory bulb. J. Neurosci., 5:1772 1780.Google Scholar
- Wilson, M.A. and Bower, J.M. (1992) Cortical oscillations and temporal interactions in a computer simulation of piriform cortex. J. Neurophysiologv, 67: 193–198.Google Scholar
- Zipser, D. (1991) Recurrent network model of the neural mechanism of short-tenu active memory. Vearal Comp. 3: 179–193.Google Scholar