Pheromonal Control of the Bovine Ovarian Cycle
The ovarian cycle of several species of rodents is influenced by priming pheromones from both males and females (Bronson, 1979; Vandenbergh, 1973; 1980). A chemical cue contained in the urine of male housemice accelerates the onset of puberty in juvenile females (Vandenbergh, et al., 1976) and influences the rythmicity of the ovarian cycle of the adult female (Whitten, 1956). In rats, synchronization of estrus occurs as a result of airborne chemical cues produced by other females (McClintock, 1978; 1981).
KeywordsOvarian Cycle Cervical Mucus Olfactory Bulbectomy Mouse Urine Calve Season
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burris, M. J., and Priode, B. M., 1958, Effect of calving date onGoogle Scholar
- subsequent calving performance, J. Anim. Sci., 17:527. Colby, D.R., and Vandenbergh, J. G., 1974, Regulatory effects of urinary pheromones on puberty in the mouse, Biol. Reprod., 11: 268.Google Scholar
- Izard, M. K., Pheromones and reproduction in domestic animals, in: “Pheromones and Reproduction in Mammals,” J. G. Vandenbergh, ed., Academic Press, NY (in press).Google Scholar
- Izard, M. K., and Vandenbergh, J. G., 1982, The effects of bull urine on puberty and calving date in crossbred beef heifers, J. Anim. Sci., (in press).Google Scholar
- Izard, M. K., and Vandenbergh, J. G., 1982, Priming pheromones from oestrous cows increase synchronization of oestrous in dairy heifers after PGF-2a injection, J. Reprod.Fertil., (in press).Google Scholar
- Lesmeister, J. L., Burfening, P. J., and Blackwell, R. L., 1973, Date of first calving in beef cows and subsequent calf production, J. Anim. Sci., 36: 1.Google Scholar
- McClintock, M. K., 1981, Social control of the ovarian cycle and function of estrous synchrony, Am. Zool., 21: 243.Google Scholar
- Short, R. E., and Bellows, R. A., 1971, Relationship among weight gains, age at puberty and reproductive performance in heifers, J. Aním. Scí., 32: 127.Google Scholar
- Vandenbergh, J. G., 1973, Acceleration and inhibition of puberty in female mice by pheromones, J. Reprod. Fert., 19: 411.Google Scholar
- Vandenbergh, J. G., 1980, The influence of pheromones on puberty in rodents, in: “Chemical Signals,” D. Muller-Schwarze and R. M. Silverstein (eds. ), Plenum Publishing Corp.Google Scholar
- Weston, J. S., and Ulberg, L. C., 1976, Responses of dairy cows to the behavior of treated herdmates during the postpartum period, J. Dairy Sci., 59: 1985.Google Scholar
- Zimbelman, R. G., Lauderdale, J. W., and Moody, E. L., 1977, Beef A.I. and prostaglandin F2a, Proc. 11th Confr. A.I. Beef Cattle, Denver, Col., p. 66.Google Scholar