Physics of Boron Neutron Capture Therapy in Japan
Four research reactors are currently licensed for medical application in Japan. As of September 1994, approximately 200 clinical irradiations using these research reactors have been done for brain and skin tumors as shown in Table 1. The number of chief medical doctors certified by the Government is eleven so far. Among them, eight doctors have already treated tumor patients using the Kyoto University Reactor (KUR, 5MW) as shown in Table 2. Very recently in USA clinical trials have been restarted using epithermal neutrons at MIT and BNL.
KeywordsThermal Neutron Neutron Beam Heavy Water Research Reactor Maxwellian Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K.Kanda, T.Kobayashi, M.Takeuchi and S.Ouchi, “Development of Neutron Shielding Material Using LiF”, Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Radiation Shielding, JAERI, 1258–1265, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.Y.Sakurai, T.Kobayashi and K.Kanda, “A Study on the Improvement of Thermal Neutron Dose Distribution in Tissue for Neutron Capture Therapy”, Annu. Rep. Res. Reactor Inst. Kyoto Univ. 25: 63–77, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.F.I.Wheeler, D.K.Parsons, B.L.Rushton and D.W.Nigg, “Epi-thermal Neutron Beam Design for Neutron Capture Therapy at the Power Burst Facility and the Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor”, Nucl. Technol. 92:106–117, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.O.K.Harling, J.C.Yanch, J.R.Choi, G.R.Solares, R.D.Rogus, D.J.Moulin, L.S.Johnson, I.Olmez, S.Wirdzek, J.A.Bernard, R.G.Zamenhof, C.I.Nwanguma, D.E.Wazer, S.Saris, H.Madoc-Jones, C.B.Sledge and S.Shortkroff, Boron neutron capture therapy and radiation synovectomy research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Research Reactor, Nucl. Sci. Eng. //0: 330–348, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.Y.Sakurai, T.Kobayashi, K.Kanda and Y.Fujita, “Feasibility Study on Neutron Energy Spectrum Shifter in the KUR Heavy Water Facility for Neutron Capture Therapy”, Annu. Rep. Res. Reactor Inst. Kyoto Univ. 26: 8–25, 1993.Google Scholar
- T.Kobayashi, S.Fujihara and K.Kanda, “Effective Thermal Neutron Collimation for Neutron Capture Therapy using Neutron Scattering and Absorption Reactions”, Progress in Neutron Capture Therapy for Cancer, Eds. B.J.Allen et al.,Plenum Press, New York, 7–12, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.H.Hatanaka, S.Kamano, K.Amano, S.Hojo, K.Sano, S.Egawa and H.Yasukochi, “Clinical Experience of Boron-Neutron Capture Therapy for Gliomas - A Comparison with Conventional Chemo-Immuno-Radiotherapy”, Boron-Neutron Capture Therapy for Tumors, Eds. H.Hatanaka, Nishimura, Niigata, 349379, 1986.Google Scholar
- 9.T.Kobayashi, M.Ono and K.Kanda, “Measurement and Analysis on Neutron Flux Distributions in a Heavy Water Phantom using the KUR Neutron Guide Tube for BNCT”, Strahlenther. Onkol_ 165: 101–103, 1989.Google Scholar