Glial-Neuronal Interactions Exemplified by the Synthesis and Actions of Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor
Glial cells are broadly defined here as supporting cells of the nervous system, including astrocytes and oligodendrocytes in the central nervous system (CNS) and Schwann cells and endoneurial fibroblasts in the peripheral nervous system (PNS). They nurture the survival and normal function of neurons. In turn, the synthesis and release of neurotrophic factors from glial cells are influenced by signals from neurons and their axons. Examples of such glial-neuronal interactions will be illustrated in this selective review of the supply and actions of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF). It is hoped that some of the observations regarding Schwann cells and CNTF will eventually find wider application to other glial cells and other neurotrophic molecules.
KeywordsSchwann Cell Sympathetic Neuron Wallerian Degeneration Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor Picomolar Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bulloch, A.G.M., Syed, N.I., and Richardson, P.M., 1992, Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) induces sprouting by adult lymnea neurons in vitro, Abstr. Soc. Neurosci. 18: 1095.Google Scholar
- Davis, S., Aldrich, T.H., Valenzuela D.M., Wong, V., Furth, M.E., Squinto, S.P., and YancopoulosGoogle Scholar
- Gearing, D.P., Comeau, M.R., Friend, D.J., Gimpel, S.D., Thut, C.J., McGourty, J., Brasher, K.K., King, J.A., Gillis, S., Mosley, B., Ziegler, S.F., and Cosman, D., 1992, The I1–6 signal transducer, gpl 30: an oncostatin M receptor and affinity converter for the LIF receptor, Science 255: 1434–1437.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gupta, S.K., Altares, M., Benoit, R., Riopelle, R.J., Dunn, R.J., and Richardson, P.M., 1992a, Preparation and biological properties of native and recombinant ciliary neurotrophic factor, J. Neurobiol. in press.Google Scholar
- Gupta, S.K., Haggarty, A., Riopelle, R.J., Dunn, R.J., Richardson, P.M., and Carbonetto, S., 1992b, Actions of ciliary neurotrophic factor on a teratocarcinoma cell line, Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 19: 275.Google Scholar
- Ip, N.Y., Li., Y., van de Stadt, I., Panayotatos, N., Alderson, R.F., and Lindsay, R.M., 1991, Ciliary neurotrophic factor enhances neuronal survival in embryonic rat hippocampal cultures, J. Neurosci. 11: 3124–3134.Google Scholar
- Unsicker, K., Reichert-Preibsch, H., Schmidt, R., Pettmann, B., Labourdette, G., and Sensenbrenner, M., 1987, Astroglial and fibroblast growth factors have neurotrophic functions for cultured peripheral and central nervous system neurons, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84: 5459–5463.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar