Effects of Moldy Cottonseed on Reproduction in Beef and Dairy Heifers
Weather conditions before harvest and storage conditions after harvest contribute to growth of molds and subsequent production of mycotoxins in various commodity feeds. Although numerous mycotoxins have been identified, information on adverse effects on farm animals is often speculative, or based only on case studies and field observations. This is particularly true for suspected mycotoxicoses in ruminants.
KeywordsPregnancy Rate Artificially Inseminate Estradiol Valerate Trichothecene Mycotoxin Natural Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Calhoun, M., and Holmberg, C. (1991). Safe use of cotton by-products as feed ingredients for ruminants: A review. In: Cattle Research with Gossvpol Containing Feeds, pp. 97–129 ( L.A. Jones, D.H. Kinard, and J.S. Mills, eds.) National Cottonseed Products Assn., Memphis, TN.Google Scholar
- Hagler, W. M., Jr. (1990). Aflatoxin in field crops in the Southeastern United States. In: A Perspective on Aflatoxin in Field Crops and Animal Food Products in the United States. ARS-83, pp. 35–42. U.S.D.A., A.R.S., Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Hutchins, J. E., and Hagler, W.M., Jr. (1983) Rapid liquid chromatographic determination of aflatoxins in heavily contaminated corn. J. Assoc. Offic. Anal. Chem., 66, 1458–1465.Google Scholar
- SAS (1985). SAS User’s Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc. Cary, NC. Steel, R.G.D, and Torrie, J.H. (1960). Principles and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. pp. 41–43.Google Scholar
- Swanson, S.P., Corley, R.A., White, D.G., and Buck, W.B. (1984). Rapid thin layer chromatographic method for determination of zearalenone and zearalenol in grains and animal feeds. J. Assoc. Offic. Anal. Chem., 67, 580–582.Google Scholar
- Trenholm, H. L., Warner, R.M., and Prelusky, D.B. (1985). Assessment of extraction procedures in the analysis of naturally contaminated grain products for deoxynivalenol (Vomitoxin). J. Assoc. Offic. Anal. Chem., 68, 645–649.Google Scholar
- Whitlow, L.W., Nebel. R.L., Behlow, R.F., Hagler, W.M., Jr., and Brownie, C.F.-G. (1986). Mycotoxins in North Carolina dairy feeds - A survey of 100 dairy farms. J. Dairy Sci. 69 (Suppl. 1), 223.Google Scholar