Photonics Applied to Phased Array Antennas: Work Done at Université Laval
Space-borne phased array antennas may benefit from the use of optical communications technology and photonic devices to reduce their weight and their power consumption, and also from signal handling by innovative means.1–3 At Université Laval, we have undertaken a research program to study some promising avenues. We present here a summary of our latest results concerning the microwave signal transport, distribution, processing and generation by optical means.
KeywordsPower Spectral Density Semiconductor Laser Microwave Signal Microwave Oscillator Slave Laser
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Goldberg, R. D. Esman, and K. J. Williams, Optical techniques for microwave generation, transmission, and control, in: “IEEE Microwave Theory Techn. Symp. Dig.,” IEEE, Piscataway (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.A. J. Seeds, I. D. Blanchrlower, and N. J. Gomes, New developments in optical control techniques for phased array radar, in: “IEEE Microwave Theory Techn. Symp. Dig.,” IEEE, Piscataway (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.A. J. Seeds, W. I. McMillan, C. R. Pescod, M. J. Wale, and W. S. Birkmayer, Optical control of phased array antennas: a European perspective, in: “IEEE Microwave Theory Techn. Symp. Dig.,” IEEE, Piscataway (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Chamberland, M. Têtu, and P. Tremblay, Spectral characterization of microwave signals generated by the heterodyne of injection-locked semiconductor lasers, in: “Optoelectronic Signal Processing for Phased Array Antennas IV, Proc. 2155,” , B. M. Hendrickson, ed., SPIE, Bellinghan (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.C. Beaulieu, M. Chamberland, M. Têtu, and P. Tremblay, Stability measurements of an optically injection-locked microwave oscillator, in: “Frequency-Stabilized Lasers and their Applications, Proc. 1837,” Y. C. Chung, ed., SPIE, Bellinghan (1993).Google Scholar
- 8.D. J. Sturzebecher, X. Zhou, X. Zhang, and A. S. Daryoush, Design of oscillators for optically fed MMW phased array, in: “IEEE Microwave Theory Techn. Symp. Dig.,” IEEE, Piscataway (1992).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Paquet, F. Chénard, Z. Jakubczyk, M Bélanger, M. Têtu, C. Bélisle, Optical delay lines in high-silica (S1O2/SÍ) waveguides, in: “International Conference on Applications of Photonic Technology,” G. A. Lampropoulos, ed., Plenum, New York (1994).Google Scholar